Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top

Hey - forget the top, look at the lady!

Did anyone else notice the lady, in the 3rd photo? It looks like she's sitting on the left nose of the car. Wow!
    I love my "Unique" top, and I feel I will add the windshield support bar (verticle stainless rod). If you don't put the side windows in, there's alot of pressure on the canvas (50 mpg and up). With the side windows in, it's snug as a bug. And it's really cold up here.

The Lady

Dave ,
    I'll pass along the compliment. Sharon is the car's co-owner and probably has done 40%+ of the build effort so she is welcome to sit wherever she pleases. With all that hands-on knowledge of the car she can handle 99% of the questions thrown at her during car shows.
    It's amazing how many guys try to play "stump the blonde" and walk away frustrated in their efforts with very complete answers.

- Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    How do the top and side curtains actually mount to the car? Are there grommets and/or brackets on the top of the door and behind the seat that the parts plug into? Do you have any photos of this Tony?

Also, do the bows fold so that the top will fit in the boot? If not, how does it all come apart, as it looks like the bows go through some loops in the top and are locked in?
    The brackets for the bows are attached to the bulkhead right behind the seat near the door and have a chrome platted ferrule in it for the pin to slide into.
    The Side curtains(screens) have three pins in them that fit into ferrules on the doors.
    The bows come apart in the middle. they have a solid rod that is set in one side and slides into the other.
    I was out Sunday for a cruise. Sun was up when I left and stopped at a friends for a visit and the clouds came in. Put the top(hood) on and finished my cruise in comfort.
    I have also tested the top(hood) at the track at speeds of 120mph.
    I do have the windshield(wind screen) support rod installed.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Question Windscreen rod?

Tony,

Do you have a detail pic of the windscreen reinforcing rod? Also, where did you get it? I want to add one, but the one I have looked at appears to require drilling into the body to clear the adjustment nut.

I'd like to add one to both our cars, 1) for the strength issue when using the top at speed, and 2) to allow mounting of an adjustable height rearview mirror (slider type).

Thanks!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Tony,

Was that 120mph with or without the side curtains, and how did it do?

Thanks!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSnake View Post
    Tony,

Do you have a detail pic of the windscreen reinforcing rod? Also, where did you get it? I want to add one, but the one I have looked at appears to require drilling into the body to clear the adjustment nut.

I'd like to add one to both our cars, 1) for the strength issue when using the top at speed, and 2) to allow mounting of an adjustable height rearview mirror (slider type).

Thanks!
    Zach, I will find the pics of when I installed mine. I got it from Finishline and it has a bracket to mount it to the windshield frame with the existing screw holes at the base. I did have to drill and tap the top as the hook had come off the top of the frame a couple of times from vibration.
    I don't know if someone else makes a better fitting one. I did buy a slider mounting bracket for the rear view mirror after the fact and will have to install that the next time the windsheild come off for something. It will be nice to raise the mirror up a little especially with the top on.

Paul,
    The side curtains were in.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Lightbulb Windshield Center Rod

I recently installed one of Finish lines "Chrome windshield tensor (center rod) bar". The bar works very well with the ragtop. Fits well, nice and stable.

I don't recommend the mirror mount though. I put it on my Unique 289 and the mount is very shakey when running. To the point of being unusable. Also, the mirror ends up being very close to the driver (compared to the dash top mounted location). So I put the mirror back on the dash top.

Windshield shake

To eliminate windshield shake replace the supplied windshield to cowl brace with a stronger brace. Finishline sold a chrome unit for $35.00 but I checked on the web and it seems to be unavailable now. I sandwiched the tensor bar lower mount and the heavier windshield brace and have a rock solid windshield assembly. I did have to create a body-colored steel riser to shim the space between the brace and cowl.

Images are attached for review.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.

I imagine most folks use the soft top to protect from the sun during summer, and for those in colder areas to allow some winter motoring. Question from someone in a warmer and rainy locale: how well does the top keep the rain out? I know these cars aren't exactly ideal for driving in wet weather (!) but I"m wondering how much water would tend to enter the cockpit, especially around the "seal" areas (top of windshield, rear, tops of doors and front of door where it meets the cowl).

It definitely is a nice looking top!

A little from the center of the top of the windshield. A little from where the door and windshield and side curtian meet. It travels around on the body. If you don't seal the winshield frame where it comes through the body, a lot will come in there. mine is sealed. None under the winshield where the gasket meets the cowl. None from the rear or side curtains.

I am more worried about spinning wheels and stopping while driving in the rain.
    Tony

Leakage

It depends on the storm. Most of the top time leakage around the edges is minimal, but I've driven into very heavy downpours where a curtain of rain dripped inside across the entire edge of the windscreen. Seal the bottom wind screen seal to the body with a narrow bead of clear silicone from the interior side. It can't be seen and does a great job. As Tony mentioned seal under the side plates and from the bottom where the frame passes through the body.

Never forget that British style tops were never meant to be weatherproof. I've owned British sports cars since 1968 and am used to always driving hot, cold, or wet.

If God had intended for man to drive in comfort he woundn't have invented British sportscars. - 60's Proverb.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; January 10th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

I hear you, Aggressor and Naumoff. Creature comforts and state of the art conveniences are not what these cars are all about. I'm looking forward to that raw, vintage experience. Having ridden in a few of them, I'm familiar with the feel, but sitting in the seat that has the go-pedal will be a whole different deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    Tony,

Was that 120mph with or without the side curtains, and how did it do?

Thanks!
    The side curtains were in and it did very well as the top is still perfect.
    Tony

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

OK, thanks Tony. That is pretty impressive!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Tony - what kind of seat is in your interior pic?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by spd4me View Post
    Tony - what kind of seat is in your interior pic?
    Bob
    Bob,
    It is a vintage style comp seat.
    Tony

Tony - where did you purchase from. I need something with more side and hip support.
    Bob

I bought mine from Sterling Replicars in VA.
    Check Cobra Restorers in GA first. They have them and are less expensive. $150.00 cheaper.

medium size racing seat
    http://www.sterlingreplicars.com/

seat RP1004M
    http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...obra_Restorers
    Tony

Tony - thanks. Sterling's leather seat list for $650. Cobra Restores in $255 for vinyl.

Where do you see $255? I see $299?