Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top

I am considering designing a convertable top of my on and was hoping someon ehad some scaled drawings of a 427 model so that I could explore some designs. I am not happy with anything I have seen thus far.

Steve

Top ReDesign?

Have you seen the custom top available from UniqueMotorcars?
    What are you not happy with?

Top ReDesign

The overall proportions basically. I do not like how the rear section fall straight down behindthe roll bar. Would like to see something with more of a slope, but not as sloped as the hard tops I have seen.

Our rear top bow is even with the roll bar and the top angles back at least 10" from there. How did you get, falls straight down behind the roll bar?

Alan

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Maybe you are thinking about Superformance with the steep back. The first pic is Juan's old Superformance car

The other two are of the Unique top on Donnie Thomas' car.

I don't have a side view shot of the Unique... anyone else? It doesn't look like they are the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427 Superformance with 255-60 and 295-50 AVID st yokohamas.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00520.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	1618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00521.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	1619  
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

here is a shot of my top from the side. Unique has the best looking soft top in my opinion but each to there own.
    Steve we can hook up if you want to see it in person. You are not that far from me.

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

here is another shot.

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

There ya go! To me, it looks better than the Superfomance.

Thanks Tony.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Rear window...

I think Unique's top slopes back a good deal more than original 427 tops do. I've seen photos of original 427 cars with soft tops that fit around the roll bar brace because they came down so drastically.

One option that would be really nice though... a zip-out rear window section, where the top can be used jeep bikini top style. Just leaving out the side curtains tends to make the top "inflate" and put a lot of stress on the various fasteners. Pulling out the rear window would relieve the pressure and let the wind pass through. This would be great for providing shade on those late August and early September afternoons when the sun is so brutal!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

windows

Does anyone have any pics of the side windows installed?

Soft Top

Steve, I had the soft top retro-fitted to my car in 2002 by Unique. The top was custom installed to the car and is a very high quality piece. The materials and workmanship are excellent. It still looks terrific after a lot of use during the 7 years that I've owned it. I have received quite a number of comments on how great the car looks top up. I consider it a great visual asset and really extends your "seat-time" here in the Northeast. Yesterday (January 1st) I opened her up a bit and let her sing on Interstate 81 Northbound for about an one hour before heading home.

What a fine....fine...really fine way to start the new Year.

I've added a few scanned images of original Cobra soft tops for review. Look at Tony's photos and compare. I feel Unique has done a great job of replicating the original.
    Also included is a top-up image of Aggressor prior to the 2003 MotorTrend Productions Harrisburg Auto Show.

-Geary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Nice pics, Geary.

The original top looks like it had an opening where the rear fender top meets the cockpit right behind the door, since the top does not follow the body contour there... am I seeing things or is it there?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul, The original print shows the opening clearer. I found another top variation and scanned the image. The side curtains end as a curved piece of plexiglass that rotates for side ventilation.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.

here's two diegokid. I have more angles if you need them.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    Paul, The original print shows the opening clearer. I found another top variation and scanned the image. The side curtains end as a curved piece of plexiglass that rotates for side ventilation.

-Geary
    Very interesting... I wonder about adjusting the vent for part open operation vs. all the way opened or closed. Looks like the slider would be more user friendly.

Thanks
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Tony, which part of the window moves, front or back? It looks like the rear portion slides forward. Does this blast you with wind when open?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul,
    The rear glass slides forward. It gives a nice amount of air for ventilation.
    Of course it all depends on how much you slide it open. Open both sides a little bit for some cross ventilation. The set up is very user friendly and the top goes up and comes off very easy and all fits in the boot.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Paul,
    The set up is very user friendly and the top goes up and comes off very easy and all fits in the boot.
    Thanks Tony, I hear your mum talking.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Thanks all. After reviewing the attached images of the Unique Tops and those of competitors, I have to admit, I cannot see a better solution/design than the Unique product.

Thanks

How do the top and side curtains actually mount to the car? Are there grommets and/or brackets on the top of the door and behind the seat that the parts plug into? Do you have any photos of this Tony?

Also, do the bows fold so that the top will fit in the boot? If not, how does it all come apart, as it looks like the bows go through some loops in the top and are locked in?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear