Thread: Introduction and looking for feedback

Introduction and looking for feedback

Hello Unique Forum. While I am not an official owner of a Unique cobra at this point, I am hoping to be one. I am looking at a used (2004) 427 body style with a 427 side-oiler and a 4-speed top loader. The vehicle is in excellent shape. My main concern is the engine. I've read where FE's are subject to oil leaks and there is a slight one with this car. The engine was professionally built and the owner did not cut corners on the components used. Are there any owners of similar Uniques on the forum? I'd be very interested in hearing any opinions on what I've described, especially any concerns with these vintage-style engines.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I had Ford FE's back in the 60's and they leaked like a sieve. But that was in the 60's. There is so much new technology that a motor should not leak these days, unless a rear main needs replacing. I have an FE in my Unique, and other than a pin hole leak on a seam on the Canton oil pan that I repaired with JB Weld, the motor has not dripped a drop in going on six years. The FE motor is solid if built correctly.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Welcome Chris. Unique is a great choice!

Where is the leak? There are some very knowledgeable folks on this site that will help you sort it out with a little more info. Tell 'em everything you can about it.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Hello Chris. Great car and great engine.

I would not pass up a car just because of little oil leak. I know many guys with other types of engines and they are all not free of oil leaks.

The most common leak on the FE is the valve cover.
    Oil leaks can be a pain but don't think it won't happen if you don't get an FE.

The quality of a Unique is one of the highest in the market.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thanks for your thoughts and asking for more!!

Folks,

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. From what I have seen, the leak appears small. Nothing major on the floor where the vehicle is stored and the owner never has to add oil during the driving season. As mentioned, it appears to have been well built using quality components. The owner provided me with a complete BOM of the engine parts. J&E forged pistons, Comp Cam and Comp full roller rocker system, Eagel H-beam rods and the list goes on. The engine has medium riser head, double carb and aluminum intake. While there was no dyno analysis performed on the engine, the owner believes it produces 500+ HP. Can any of the forum members venture a guess on what this engine might be worth? Vehicle mileage is less than 3k.

Once again, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. By the way, from what I have seen and learned, Unique apparently produces a great vehicle. This would be my first Cobra and I am taking my time and trying to learn as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Chris

Value of the engine? I'm assuming you mean what would a nicely set up 427 s/o go for on the open market (i.e. as opposed to the money the original builder sunk into it). I'd say $15k plus easy.

Congrats on considering the purchase of that Unique. I'm in a similar position to you in that I'm still doing my "due diligence", although you are closer to pulling the trigger than am I. Purchasing a previously built car makes the most financial sense, from what I've gleaned (although I'll do one myself, only because I want that experience).

Best of luck to you!

Loose

Many engine builders build High Performance engines "loose", tolerances.
    Example, my side-oiler was built loose from SAA, if you run around at 50-65 MPH in a cruise at 3,500 RPM and lower it will use oil, you will not see it smoke out the sidepipes. Like on the Unique Cruise in Gadsden, 150 miles or so, 1/2 qt of oil. Now if I run it 60 MPH and up, over 3,500 RPM and higer, another words in the performance "Mode", it wont use a drop of oil. It has to get hot and turning some RPM for the clearances to tighten up. So at 50% of it's potential it is loose, at 75% - 100% of it potential it is tighter and happy.
    A high performance 427 side-oiler will cost $25 - $30,000 easily to build.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick is right. Maybe I should sell my engine for 25K and the roller for best offer. Any takers?
    Steve

FE Oil Leaks

My experience is that FE's are not so much leaking as they are marking their territory.

The design of the rear main seal on an FE lends itself to weepage over time. As a result there are only two kinds of FE's out there.........the ones that have an oil leak and the ones that are about to.

Keith
    Keith