Thread: Part 13 – Rear axle Plate

Part 13 – Rear axle Plate

Finally got around to doing some more on the car and decided a good day project would be to build a reinforcement Plate for the rear axle. I have seen pictures of the ones that some of you have and with that info and my own ideas I got started.
    This first picture is of what the car came to me with, there was a single aluminum strap across the rear part and two steel straps that secured the axle to the frame just in front of it.

My plate is made from 4 pieces of ¼ by 2” flat steel drilled and welded together as in the next picture.

After fitting the new plate into place I discovered that the rear axle was not sitting parallel to the frame as you can see by the red lines I have placed on the next photo.

Further inspection revealed to me that the problem could only be corrected by relocating the upper rear axle mount (very firmly attached to the frame) 5/16 of an inch towards the passenger side and angled slightly down on the same side to keep the whole thing centered.
    Here are the results of the changes.

To be continued…
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Square

"Further inspection revealed to me that the problem could only be corrected by relocating the upper rear axle mount (very firmly attached to the frame) 5/16 of an inch towards the passenger side and angled slightly down on the same side to keep the whole thing centered.
    Here are the results of the changes."

The differential is bolted to the frame with 4 ea. 1/2x13 bolts, so to square the differential up you had to make some modifications to the frame/differential attachment. Just curious, how did you accomplish this since you had go approximately 5/16 "?

Rear axle plate....The way yours was done prior to your modification really didn't do a whole lot of good, the modification you made solves a lot of potential problems.
    Last edited by eliminator; February 10th, 2009 at 05:45 AM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick, The previous owner had welded in an additional mounting plate below the original one on the frame. That plate appeared to do two things, it lowered the differential 1/2" and provided new "clean" mounting holes to compensate for the original ones that had been "egged" out somehow. I just cut this newer plate loose, moved it over 5/16", drilled out the old plate above, (egging out the holes even further), tack welded the plate into place, reinstalled the rear end, lined everything up, and finished the welding. Simple
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Nice work Rod... glad you are back at it!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Rod,

Good explanation, I understand now. Boy that car had been modified a bunch!!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

rod, as ive said face to face, and on this forum, many times, you do awesome work period! hope you can make it out east this year. now get back to work. later, brian.