Thread: Choice of engine and transmission

Choice of engine and transmission

The forum seems tolerant of oft-asked newbie questions, so I'll pose another. Can the membership tell me their selection of engine and transmission for their Unique cobra and the logic (or passion) behind that choice? And as far as the engine goes, I'm not referring to the BB-SB debate (though feel free to express your thoughts on that matter), but the engine block, displacement, HP ratings, etc. I believe Alan Weaver is a contributing member to this forum and I would like to know Mr. Weaver's personal thoughts on his selection(s).

Thanks,

Chris

the most important decision needs to be driveability. Are you just going to cruise and Sunday drive, then don't build a race motor. it is easier to get parts for 351 W for example than a side oiler. How true to original do you want to go? Make sure all your choices work together. motor trans combo and rear end ratio.

Southern Automotive 406, 4-speed top loader, power-lock 3:31 for the rear. I'm happy with it, but if I had it to do over (and mind you, this was 5-years ago), I would have sprung for the 427 s.o... the super FE wasn't offered at that time.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Although I don't have a Unique Cobra (yet), I did have a Factory Five with a 503 BBF that made 650 HP. It was drivable as long as you respected that much power. I now have a GT40 with a 331 that makes 475 HP. I plan to build a 289 FIA and will go with another 331.

I guess I'm a traditionalist
    Bill D

Slowly accumulating parts to build a period correct 289FIA

Engines

Alan and Maurice are great resources along with Bill Parham of Southern Automotive and this forum. The soul searching that you have to do is to ask yourself honestly what you want to get out of the car. I'd start by identifying to the forum what you want to achieve. If you’re into punishing street/strip action it's one thing. If you want high performance street with reliability it's another. Take a legal pad on a clipboard, place it in plain view, and add your thoughts and questions daily as they occur. Then make sure all your questions get answered.. When you've narrowed what you want sit down with your machinist and he will tell you what you can have based on the thickness of your wallet.. $$$$$$.

Being a bit of a purist, I feel that it is necessary to run a small block in an FIA and an FE in a 427SC. Proper look and if you should decide to market your car in the future you will greatly limit the number of buyers who will consider your car if say you put a 289 in the 427SC. (Been there - done that) Also inherent value is created when your replica looks, feels, and smells like one of the originals.

-Hope it helps
    -Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; February 14th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Engines

Mis-posted again - sorry about that.
    Clumsy computer/monkey-fingers relationship.

-Aggressor
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.

I have pretty much done a 180 from several months ago once I learned of Unique. What I mean is, there are a lot of cobra replicas (as you all know) that stray in varying degrees from the original concept. I could have chosen that route. I have no intent to race or track at all, so my desire is to go the purist or traditional route as much as possible and affordable. Something that (going traditional) I was not too concerned about before. I see posts that suggest going with an FE for the 427 style which sounds right to me. But how accessible are the vintage FE's, specifically side oilers? Also, I really am interested in what the forum members have chosen for their drivetrain from their own perspective. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Chris

Wink Money

In the BB scheme of things its about money...starting with the basic block,

The 390 block being the cheapest.....428 Block.......427 Center Oiler.......427 Side-Oiler Highest.

Now what you put inside , components, HP is $$, more HP more $$.

Low end 390 $3,500, top end 427 Side-Oiler $30,000.00, there you have it, economics.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

I really do like the Super FE that Southern Automotive offers, I have one in our new demo, it has the original look along with HP and reliability. I also like the top loader 4 speed but wouldn't hesitate using a Tremec TKO. If you use a top loader I would recommend a 3.31 or 3.54 rear gear, it just depends on how much highway driving you plan on doing.

Alan

In a previous post Jim Harding provided the following data:

The SA FE452 dyno sheet indicates 512 HP @ 5700 and 518 ftlbs @ 4400.
    Nice lumpy cam.

Sounds like a bargain at $8500

It sounds like you"re seriously leaning to purist. You learn that the Unique cars have "The look". Many times I've caught people at car shows tapping on my fenders to see if it is aluminum.

_Geary

Me thinks I'll just HAVE to be going with that Super FE! Looks like the best BB value I've seen.

I've got a 452 Super FE and am loving it! When it gets opened up the sound and seat of the pants thrill can't be beat!