Thread: A few questions from a new member

A few questions from a new member

Hi - I've recently started (actually resumed) studying Cobra kits and been looking closely at the Unique. I need a project for when I retire later this year. I'm interested in a Street version Cobra so I'm pretty much limiting my study to Unique and ERA since Hurricane went belly up recently. There are several things I like about the Unique kit, one the body isn't pretty much forever bonded to the chassis since I may assemble the car and drive it in primer to sort our before painting. But, ERA obviously sells a nice car. A couple questions if anyone can help with some answers:

Does Unique offer the grill splitter that was on the street cars? I've seen several photos of what I think are Unique cars with the splitter, and also many without.

Has anyone adapted a functional footwell ventilation system similar to the original cars - or does Unique have an optional one? I have an old Corvette coupe and the floor vents make life tolerable in the summer.

I suspect not - but has anyone seen a reproduction of the old sunburst style knockoff wheels fitted to the 427 street cars?

What size speedo and tach gages did the original street cars have - 3-5/8 or 5 inch? Many Cobra kits (all manufacturers) that I've seen have the competition dash and many have the the 5 inch gages. From photos of originals with the competition dash it looks like they may be 5 inch (??). But I think the street cars dash may have used smaller speedo and tach gages - not sure.

Thank you ahead of time for any help on these questions. I'll probably have some more in the future.

Dan

Just some thoughts re: your queries. I built my 289 car in 2003 as a retirement project. I had always wanted a small block car and Unique was one of the very few suppliers offering a FIA. I too looked at ERA and felt that I wanted a good driver and really did not care about the round tube chassis and other factors that tend to make the ERA more "original". ERA was also more expensive with a longer wait. I have never had any regrets about choosing UNIQUE Motorcars. The Weavers are absolutely top notch as is their product and follow-on support. World class!

If you really want the oil cooler/radiator splitter you will probably have to fabricate that yourself. I'm sure this forum will provide contacts/info on how to do it. Would probably be one of the few things you would ever have to fabricate on one of these cars.

I sold a 66 Corvette roadster to get my car. The vette had under-body exhaust and could drive you out of the car in the summer even with the ventilation system (not A/C). I live just to the Southwest of Death Valley and I know what hot is. It seems that several folks on this forum have adapted vent systems to the footwells. The 427 type exhaust will probably (potentially) transfer more heat to the footwells than the 289 type....this was always a problem in the original cars. I had my headers and side pipes ceramic coated inside and out and have found that they transfer very little heat into the footwells. I have some aluminum trim around the engine compartment (Unique option) and some thermal mat between the firewall, footboxes and carpet and can honestly say that even without a ventilation system this car is MUCH cooler than the Vette was.

Sunburst wheels.....very, very rare and priced as such. No replicas that I am aware of.

Phil Souza
    Ridgecrest, CA

Welcome!

I have made and fitted my own foot box vents. They are great.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ighlight=vents

ERA does not have a round tube chassis.
    The splitters is not hard to make. Unique might still offer it as an option. I know they use too.
    dido on the starburst knock offs.
    On the under car exhaust. I would not put mufflers under the floor but use cherry bombs near the tailpipes. Just my opinion to keep a large piece of hot metal right under your seat.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I stand corrected...it was Contemporary that had the round tube frame. I have never seen a set of replica sunburst wheels ....if Alan's got some more, power to him.

I think you are correct on the replica sunburst wheels.There are none.
    Last set of originals I heard sold for over $6000.00.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by souzape View Post
    I have never seen a set of replica sunburst wheels
    Can anyone post a good photo of these?

Thanks!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by souzape View Post
    Just some thoughts re: your queries. I built my 289 car in 2003 as a retirement project. I had always wanted a small block car and Unique was one of the very few suppliers offering a FIA. I too looked at ERA and felt that I wanted a good driver and really did not care about the round tube chassis and other factors that tend to make the ERA more "original". ERA was also more expensive with a longer wait. I have never had any regrets about choosing UNIQUE Motorcars. The Weavers are absolutely top notch as is their product and follow-on support. World class!

If you really want the oil cooler/radiator splitter you will probably have to fabricate that yourself. I'm sure this forum will provide contacts/info on how to do it. Would probably be one of the few things you would ever have to fabricate on one of these cars.

I sold a 66 Corvette roadster to get my car. The vette had under-body exhaust and could drive you out of the car in the summer even with the ventilation system (not A/C). I live just to the Southwest of Death Valley and I know what hot is. It seems that several folks on this forum have adapted vent systems to the footwells. The 427 type exhaust will probably (potentially) transfer more heat to the footwells than the 289 type....this was always a problem in the original cars. I had my headers and side pipes ceramic coated inside and out and have found that they transfer very little heat into the footwells. I have some aluminum trim around the engine compartment (Unique option) and some thermal mat between the firewall, footboxes and carpet and can honestly say that even without a ventilation system this car is MUCH cooler than the Vette was.

Sunburst wheels.....very, very rare and priced as such. No replicas that I am aware of.

Phil Souza
    Ridgecrest, CA
    Thanks for the reply. I have a 427 Corvette (66) with 2-1/2 inch side pipes and while I love them, I don't want another car with them. I think Unique offers ceramic coating of the exhaust system (not sure if that includes the mufflers) which may be a partial answer. But you have a very good point about the heat and some heat shields or thermal insulation sounds like a good idea.

Dan

Can anyone share any information on the gage size question?

And one more that I forgot - I'm 6'-2" with probably a little more of my height in my torso than my legs. I never have a problem in anything as far as leg room is concerned - but I do sometimes with roof height. Will I have a problem with seat height in the Unique car? I hope to be able to avoid looking right at the windshield header bar. Since I will be the only driver I don't plan to install seat tracks as they would be set once and never touched again. Does Unique have any options in fabrication to deal with this?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Welcome!

I have made and fitted my own foot box vents. They are great.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ighlight=vents

ERA does not have a round tube chassis.
    The splitters is not hard to make. Unique might still offer it as an option. I know they use too.
    dido on the starburst knock offs.
    On the under car exhaust. I would not put mufflers under the floor but use cherry bombs near the tailpipes. Just my opinion to keep a large piece of hot metal right under your seat.
    Thanks - I'll check this out on the vent system.

Dan

Dan- I have a tall sitting height and attached my seat directly to the floor to keep it low...if you should opt to do this I would recommend that you put a wedge (I used a piece of wood) under the front of the seat base to tilt the seat back. The stock seats bolted directly to the floor will give you the sensation that you're constantly slipping forward. This is a very easy process and it yields a much more comfortable seating position.

Sounds like a good tip on raking the seats - thanks.

Dan

Mufflers

Dan,

I don't know much about how they sound or anything, but I've been looking at Hushpower mufflers by Flowmaster. They are thin, and they have 1/2" of built in insulation, claiming to have a cool outer case which allows more flexibility in where you mount them (in regards to heat).

Might be something to consider. Does anybody have any experience with them???

And, yes, definitely rake the seats!!! It is the difference between a pleasant drive and cramped leg & butt muscles from fighting the "sliding out of the seat" sensation!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367