Thread: Parking Brake Problem

Parking Brake Problem

The parking brake has never worked up to standard since I installed it about 3 years ago. Shortening the linkage improved the performance but did not totally solve the problem, therefore yesterday I decided to climb under and see what was going on. As you can see from the attached photograph only one of the parking brake pads (outer) on the passenger side is parallel to the rotor. The inner pad on the passenger side is angled relative to the rotor. Both brake pads are correctly positioned on the drivers side. Any suggestions what is going on and the best way to repair this problem?

Thanks
    Gerry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i have the same issue, would love to hear a solution. i have just adjusted the pads so they are very close to the rotors, but it is not a secure feeling.

My parking brake didnt work for a while as well. I suggest you remove and rebuild the ebrake assembley. Its fairly straightforward - rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive and come with new springs etc. Chances are you make have a broken internal part that needs replacing.

Question

Hi Gerry,
    I just talked to Maurice last week about a similar problem I've had since my car has been on the road (about 2 years). I purchased my DPK from Unique in 2005. I've tried everything I can think of and I just can't get the ebrake pads to grip the rotors tight enough. From underneath the car I can see a space between one of the pads and the rotor on each side. I've got the cable set up as tight as it will go. Maurice explained that there's an adjustment on the ebrake caliper (I think he said an adjusting screw with a cotter pin) that allows you to adjust the relationship (closeness) of the ebrake pads to the rotors. I'm planning to get my car up on jack stands during the next week or so in another effort to find out where you make the adjustment. I just recall not being able to see where an adjustment is possible when I've looked before. Maurice says the ebrake pads can be adjusted with the wheels off and the body on the chassis. I'd love to solve this annoying problem, just for a little more piece of mind when I'm parked on a slope.

If anyone has more info or pics describing where you actually make the ebrake pad adjustment, that would be very helpful.

Dick Untch

there is an adjustment, but it still does not help get the pads parallel to the rotor

Have you guys also installed pull off springs from the frame to the e-brake caliper levers?

This will let the calipers self adjust as well as keep the pads off the rotor when the e-brake is disengaged. The springs on the calipers are not strong enough to do this and on a Jaguar the additional pull off springs are present. I had a lot of adjustment problems until I installed these springs.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Naumoff; March 8th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

no pictures for the adjustment. it has been a while, if i remember correctly there is a pin (sort of like a hinge pin) with a small cotter pin that is it. it is hard to see anything but that pin has a standard screwdriver slot in it. you wind up doing most of the work by braille. I have not installed springs yet, actually forgot that was on my to do list.