Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delux Pallet vs Options

I have an FE, 3:31 posi with a 4-speed top loader. I do a little highway driving (100-150 mi at a time) and it spins around 3K at 65-70, although freeway driving is not my thing and I avoid it as much as possible - I prefer the back roads where the gear ratio is well suited. Just depends on what type of driving you plan to do.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mike, I have a toploader, close ratio, big spline and I love it it is mated to a 3:31 which if I was wiser and paid attention when I paired it to the engine would have got a 3:54. I love the top loader, great gear to gear transition! With the rear gear I am running I don't need an overdrive. Next big project once I get my current punch list squared away is to MAYBE go to a milder cam that will work better with the 3:31 (normal driving closer to the power band).

We all have our preferences and perhaps the guys will share theirs...

Ralph

as far as regrets.....everyone has always said aluminum panels for the engine bay are inpossable to install at a later date.
    Eddie

Wink Nahh....

Quote Originally Posted by robbinsshkr View Post
    as far as regrets.....everyone has always said aluminum panels for the engine bay are inpossable to install at a later date.
    Eddie
    All you gotta do is pop the engine out
    Yeehah

Hey Bomelia - There ain't nothin wrong with a toploader. I love em. Over-engineered back in the 60's to be rugged enough for racing abuse. I am a fan after seeing the shock loads it handles with such ease.

About the wife ......There's an old saying that my wife really hates by now.
    "She'll get over it."

When that fails get her to "buy" into it .. include her in the project.
    When that fails a bit of diplomacy helps .. such as .. what I put in the car she gets in home improvements and jewelry. This year for example - 8 new windows plus a new picture window, new kitchen cabinets, custom counter w/sink, Tanzanite ring, and to top it off a Polydactyl cat. (Means many-toed also refered to as a Hemmingway cat)
    The above list is the first installment payment for the blower upgrade I did last year.

- Geary

PS Believe it or not the little bugger has 25 toes.
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.

Where didya get the toey cat? East Tennessee?

I do not know if I care about aluminum panels, if they are only for looks. In fact the only thing I might care about would be heat shielding. But you never know, someone might point out a utility use for aluminum lining. All those rivets to me look awful.

The heater core makes sense. BTW, Alan fixed the website with asterisks marking included items in the DPK. Thanks! I thought the handbrake was standard? Are bumpers and quick jacks interchangeable?

What they need at Unique is a "lay-away" program. That way I could put money there that my wife could not get to!

Yes Ralph, I have the same top loader. Saying I should go with the 3:54? BTW, I am very happy with the TL. I have everything for under the hood except the cam (I think) and the Edelbrock heads. Puting all that together starting next week.

You know, I have looked at many of the kits out there... And when you really stop and compare apples to apples, Unique still stands ahead of the crowd. I like their up-front honest pricing. So many others hide the costs and you really have to dig to find out.

Mike 3:54 or 3:31 depends on your cam's power band and where you want to run on rpm's -- tire size also effects your (cruise) rpm which in turn has some play in how close you get to your power band. I recently went fron 16's to 15" trigos and there is a difference in cruise rpm I think Phil is also running 15's so his numbers are right -on

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralphscott View Post
    I think Phil is also running 15's so his numbers are right -on

Ralph
    Yes, 15"
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphscott View Post
    Mike 3:54 or 3:31 depends on your cam's power band and where you want to run on rpm's -- tire size also effects your (cruise) rpm which in turn has some play in how close you get to your power band. I recently went fron 16's to 15" trigos and there is a difference in cruise rpm I think Phil is also running 15's so his numbers are right -on

Ralph
    Ralph,

I am glad that you mentioned that. I have not chosen a cam yet, but when I get to that point I will ask more questions.

Thanks.

Mike

ditto, cam choice is critical to your overall driving experience.

I want a smoother motor... not a loper. I have a 428 FE. Thats gonna have plenty of power for me. Cam choice and rear end? 15" Wheels are fine (I think)

Mike,
    You may want to drive over and take a look at my latest project.
    Here is a sneak-peak....
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT40 386.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	1756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT40 170.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	1757  
    Keith

I would go with the front and rear sway bars, the adjustable coil over shocks, and posi rear end. Also, because you live close I would drop the motor by the shop and have Unique put it in so that they can fab the headers using your actual set up.
    As far as the rear end ratio goes, try to ride in a few cars. I have a fairly radical street roller in my car with almost 270 duration and 670 lift with a 3:31 gear ratio. I really like this combination and if I had a big block with a 4 speed and a mild cam I would try a 3:08 or 2:91 gear. These cars are so light that they just don't need a lot of gear. Find a gear ratio calculator on the net and experiment with a few ratios to see what you come up with.
    Go ahead and write the check, you won't have any regrets.

Justin