Thread: build progress

build progress

Hello to all,

thought I'd send a few photo's your way. I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight, but if anyone is considering an entry level metal brake, the one pictured has done a very good job for the money 185.00 and should last me a life time.

I made a simple, but sufficient aluminum cover for the hood hinges.

I doubt that I am introducing anything new to you guy's, but I've never heard anyone mention it, but if you ever make a less than perfect cut in your aluminum work creating a bit of a gap, this aluminum silicon does a great job and perfectly matches the aluminum color.

I thought I'd send a picture of the brake line I bent for inside the foot box.
    They'll come down the front wall from the braided flex line, over to the tunnel and head towards the rear.
    Thanks,
    Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 239.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	1766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 240.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	1767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 241.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	1768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 234.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	1769  

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

I look at that brake every time I go into Harbor Freight... I'm glad to hear your report on it. Maybe once I can get a shop setup...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Looking good. For tools I infrequently use, but need, I use Harbor Freight. The metal brake looks good. Sometimes it's not the tool but the craftsman.

Ralph

very nice

Eddie, looks great. I thought about plolishing the hinges. Like this better. Some of the stuff H/F sells is ok.Bought an 18 inch tile saw from them about 10 years ago. A couple of mod's and the thing has been great. It spends more time away from my home loaned out. That way I don't have to store it..

Bead roller

I have a bead roller from them and it has worked great too. If you need to make bead or bend in light pipe or sheet metal it works great.

Yes, some of their stuff can be hit or miss, but for the occasional use application it can be down right fantastic... in fact, you could almost say disposable! I got a holesaw kit for less than 3 bucks under this pretense and it actually works pretty well, with no sign of wear.

On the other hand, some of their stuff is now pretty good. I have tried one of their router bit sets and one of their Forstner bit sets, and both have served me very well!

Also, I think they have a warrantee similar to Sears, though I have not had to use it, so I am uncertain how good it is...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Talking

I got a metal cutoff saw for the valve covers I am building had to modify it a bit so that it is fully adjustable -- love it and got it for $50.00!

Ralph

Yup, there are some good deals to be had there... definitly worth a stop if you happen to be going past one. It's not Snap-On, but hey, it's not Snap-On pricing either.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

I'm sure those of you that have paid a visit to Harbor Freight have ran across the battery powered fly swatter that looks like a tennis racket.
    I handed over the $3 bucks with the intentions of giving it to my 84 year old papaw. You tend to be a bit slower swatt'n flies at 84 so I figured it was a wise investment. Kids will be kids, so I had to try it out first before handing it over to Papaw. By the time I loaded it up with the D batteries, this thing was like trying to swing a big Mag-Lite at a fly. Let me tell ya, these things are a blast! Papaw can't hit squat try'n to swing it through the air, so he'll sit on the front porch "spitt'n his baccer", holding his new toy face up with his finger on the button, and just let's the flies come to him. When the fly lands on this contraption, Papaw hits the juice, but not a quick little jolt. Papaw holds it in until the smoke starts rollin. He say's theres less of a mess to clean up that way, just a few fly ashes. you gotta keep them away from little kids though. I seen papaw turn a big horse-fly into a flame 3'' high. It's not often you can hear someone in their 80's giggle like a little kid, best 3 bucks I ever spent in my life
    Eddie
    Last edited by robbinsshkr; March 26th, 2009 at 09:11 PM.

Great story about Papaw..lol...

We got one of those and keep it on the pontoon boat.. great fun when the fish aren't biting
    Ralph

If the fish ain't biting, stick that thing in the water and push the button. then you can just scoop'm up with a net. i've heard a lot of old timers talk about using some kind of old time wind up telephone or wind up explosive detonator to stun the fish. if you ever heard of the commedian, Jerry Clower [back in the 8-track days] you probably heard him talk about marcell and darnel ledbetter from mississippi state university. they would fish with dynamite
    No doubt a case of beer and that $3.00,battery powered fly swatter makes for some cheap entertainment. If nothing else, it sure make the kids behave
    Eddie

that ain't fishing........this is fishing !

Went to Bogg's Creek last Sunday. The smallest bass we caught was 3 lbs. one was 6.7 lbs and the one I am holding in the pic was 6.11 lbs. Caught 15 total

It was fun!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FISH1.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FISH2.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1776  
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Thumbs up

Beautiful Brent! In Indiana? What bait? I've been using a florescent yellow jig with a little tail that seems to work good here and in SC.

Dynamite does work. In small creeks we have used electricity to stun the fish to see what is in there to see if it needs more stocking. It doesn't beat the haul on the line of a good fighting fish.

Ralph

I caught a bass so big one time that the picture of it weighed 4 lbs

Brent that is awsome. I know you and dad talked about going bass fish'n all the time, can't remember if you ever did though? again, great fish!
    which route did you go, dynamite or electricity?
    Eddie
    Last edited by robbinsshkr; March 27th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

This is startin' to sound like a fish tale... or is that tail?

Nice catch, Brent!

Those flyswatters are a hoot... gave one to my brother for his birthday...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear