Thread: Steering column options

Steering column options

Not saying I would, and there may not even be a need for anyone driving a Unique, but I would like to ask out of being curious more than anything else. If a driver needed more steering wheel clearance, one option is to go to a 14'' wheel. But has anyone ever raised the column its self? It looks like a simple task of making a bit longer upper column mount [under the dash] and raising the dash hole location. This of course would require the need to lay a little glass and some more vinyl / leather, but i see no reason it couldn't be done. OR would the wheel contact the cowl and / or flat out look goofy with the wheel being above the top of the cowl more than it is?

anyone installed a tilt column or used a steering wheel quick disconnect? Once I'm in, i think i'll be fine, but getting in and out might give the neighbors something to laugh at.

I had a IDIDIT tilt column in a 67 nova I recently sold and it made a big difference, and looked factory.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

Eddie;
    I have a bud who has a Lone Star with a tilt wheel and, I have to admit, I'm jealous. It shouldn't be hard to install but his looked pricey.
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

tilt sound good, raising the wheel would make it look and feel like you were driving a bus or a fire engine

I think I'll install one of those chrome cheech & chong looking minature chain steering wheels from the sixty's

I've got a quick release (NASCAR-type) wheel fitting. I got it from Allan and Maurice when I bought my DPK from them. It's a billet aluminum piece. I like it. I've got the smaller 14" wheel too. I don't take off the wheel every time I get in and out of the car, but IMHO it's just nice to have. It gives you more room when you have to work on something under the dash. It also helps a lot when someone is looking at the car and you let them sit behind the wheel. Most folks don't know how to get in and out of the car (I find you have to teach them how). Being able to take the wheel off the column make it much easier.

Dick

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by richardu View Post
    you have to teach them how.
    Dick
    Yah, once the Weavers teach you the trick to getting in and out of the car (and the secret handshake, password, and...), you'll be set... and in the club

The quick release units are way cool. I think that the Unique dealer in Virginia sells them, but the Weavers should have them, too. While you are at it, you might want to look into the steering column damper. I think they have that in Gadsden, as well. Some of the guys that have them can speak to their benefits...
    Last edited by Slither; April 1st, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

I'll definetly check into the quick release hub. does it bring the steering wheel closer towards the driver? does it bolt to an adapter or weld to the shaft? I had the type in my drag car that welded to the shaft. There was no getting in or out of that car without removing the wheel.
    What does the dampners do? I assume they reduce vibration?
    After 1 AM my time, another late night working in the barn. 5 AM gonna come quick.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

Talking

I have a quick release on Lil Cobra and I love it. Work in the foot box -- just pop the wheel off, work on the dash -- pop the wheel off. Also a nice security feature -- just pop it off and walk away with the wheel. It is not apparent to folks that it is a release which is nice if you don't want to etc., etc.
    Ralph

Eddie, here's a suggestion. Get this wheel with the detachable hub. When you shut down your ride you can stroll the hood wearing the wheel as your bling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Talking

Dang!! Can you get that wheel in gold plate to match my teeth?
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

If I was to shut my car down and take a stroll in an area in which I could wear my steering wheel as bling, I'd probably return to a stripped car setting on blocks. I'd also be pack'n more than just my steering wheel too

These disconnect steering hubs seem to be the best route to gain extra room. are they universal. I purchased the 14''. black leather wheel from unique [that measures 15''], instead of the original type wheel. how much will the hub move the wheel closer to the driver, if any?
    thanks,
    Eddie