Thread: Help me create database on oil drain plug sizes.

Help me create database on oil drain plug sizes.

Guys, would you help me out, I am trying to build a data which everyone can use down the road.

If you know your engine transmission and rear end drain plug sizes, tell us what yours is and if you have a custom canton like oil pan, contribute that size as well. I get asked all the time what you may have for a drain plug size and it turns out it is something different.
    The older fords were all 1/2" X 20" Then it was changed to M14 X 1.5. What are the Canton size drain plug sizes.Transmissions and rears as well. We appreciate your expertise and thank you for your input.

Richard
    Richard

" You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step"

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com

Question Was puzzled....

....until I saw the link in your post. OK, now I understand.

I have a Milodon pan, uses the standard 1/2" x 20 tpi. Transmission is a Tremec 3550, appears to be another 1/2" x 20. The rear uses a standard tapered pipe plug, and I think it's probably 3/4".
    Yeehah

Thank you TurnpikeBoy your entry is the first and very much appreciated. I thought the rear end plug was 1/2" NPT national pipe thread but that's what this thread is about, finding out. When I am positive what size it is I will post it. For your effort allow me to send you a free DimpleĀ®1/2" X 20 drain plug? looks like you can use it on your engine or transmission. Email me your address and it will be out Monday.
    Richard

Wait a minute, Unique uses a Salibury differential, does it not? Then we could be both wrong? The rear end differential drain plug and fill plug could be a british 3/4"BSPT ?

Would the boy's at Unique know?
    Richard

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Butch Capps would know, but he does not come 'round here as far as I know... you could phone him up to find out for sure.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Smile Thank you -

Rich, your offer is too kind for such simple info - plus, my pan drain plug is a custom I made from hexagonal stock and holds the oil temp sensor . But thanks much for your most gracious invite.

And - I can't state with certainty that the Salisbury drain is 3/4" NPT but it sure does look like one.....even has a proper 1/2" drive socket recess.

-Roger
    Yeehah

Your welcome, man. If you have details like that in your car I sure would like to see it one day!
    I guess you have a good magnet on your transmission? LOL

Thank you for your input.
    Richard
    Richard

Your right, Butch did know!

Your right Butch Capps did know.

The plug sizes on your cobras salisbury differential is an American 3/4" NPT (National Pipe thread.) I am going to send him a couple of mine to compare with the ones he is using and providing. I will post a picture of what it looks like, when done.

This is an actual DANA 44 rear end, all American, very strong same size ring gear as 9" Ford. I was impressed to find this out and I am definately going to ask for Butch to set one up for me. Butch was quite interested in what I do and excited to be able to have a couple, soon.

My favorite Unique is the 289 FIA
    Richard

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jodoin View Post
    Your right Butch Capps did know.
    He's the rear-end man... errr, well... I mean he knows the Dana center section!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jodoin View Post
    My favorite Unique is the 289 FIA

Good taste Richard!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Here are the new DimpleĀ® rear drain plug pictures!

I thought some folks would like to see the new 3/4" NPT plugs I have available.

I will attach the pictures that were taken today. The one on the left is attempting to lift the south pole onto its North. This is the T REX magnet. The other one fitted is our low profile magnet which is used on our M20 Subaru WRX and STI engine drain plug.

Why in the other picture they are both flat is because under the blue material there is a steel ruler which keeps them stable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0761.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	1864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	1865  
    Last edited by Richard Jodoin; May 17th, 2009 at 06:51 AM.
    Richard

Question Umm...dumb question

Rich, are we looking at two different magnet sizes in these pics? I'm guessing that the bigger one is your T.Rex killer mag, and that smaller button-sized job next to it is the standard unit?

-Roger
    Yeehah

The T REX and Dimple low profile.

These 2, plain 3/4" NPT differential drain plugs were fitted with our Dimple magnets, The large T REX, as it was aptly nicknamed was fitted to one and the other was fitted with our low profile magnet as used on the SUBARU WRX and STI engine drain plug.

The T REX is in a class by itself, the low profile model is roughly, (not tested officially yet) around 20 times stronger than the stock ceramic magnetized offering from Peterbilt part #54254 that is in the Jag rears on Uniques cars.

These 2 plugs in the pictures are on their way to knoxville for Butch Capps to examine and test.
    Last edited by Richard Jodoin; May 17th, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
    Richard

Well, we have come a long way since we started talking about rear end plugs on a Salisbury/Jag rear end that Unique uses. First of all I was impressed that it is a DANA 44 rear unit.
    Butch Capps told me it was a 3/4" NPT american pipe thread, because Dana is american.

After sending Butch samples of the plug I designed in 3/4" pipe........BUTCH was very impressed and is going to be equipping tractor trailer rears and transmissions with this plug, the T REX.

When I visited the Unique factory last week Mr. Weaver was given a sample and he praised the T REX as " This is the most powerful drain plug I have ever seen and highly recommend it! In fact I am going to put this one in one of my cars".

Mr. Weaver gave me permission to discuss and offer this product to members. It is available today. Should be on my web site today. Thank you.
    Richard