Thread: Driven for 1st time in 8 months!

Driven for 1st time in 8 months!

Well I finally was able to drive my car for the first time in the last 8 months. I've had a lot of problems recovering from my total knee (left knee) replacement last July 9th!

I had to undergo some additional therapy to get "normal" movement so that I could actually work the clutch without a great deal of pain. I've been able to start and warm it up every few days, but unable to drive it until today! I drove it down to have it inspected and it ran great...forgotten how much fun it was to drive. Total miles since finishing it last June 45. That's right only 45 miles.

As I was pulling out of the inspection station I hit my knee on the dash and didn't think I was going to be able to get it home (approx. 2 miles) but made it. Now my knee is swollen up again so I'm going to have to figure out someway to get more knee clearance or I'm not going to be able to drive it again anytime soon. NUTS!

Just thought I'd drop the forum a note as I've been off line for quite a while now.

Regards to everyone.

Terry
    Terry
    Viking Blue 289 Competition Model
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
    3:42 Limited Slip
    3-piece Compomotive 17" Pin Drives

Good to see you back in the driver's seat if it was for only 4 miles.

Can you lower your seat any for a little more knee clearance?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony,

Thanks for the well wishes.

My seat is bolted directly to the floor now so the only thing I can think of is to remove some of the bottom seat cushion, change seats or try to modify the dash (which I really don't want to do).

I just can't get my seat far enough back (it's against the rear bulkhead now) to get the leg/knee clearance that I need. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Regards,
    Terry
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed

Terry,

I know what you mean by not wanting to modify the dash, but I really had no choice. Some how there are plenty of guy's that are as tall or taller than i am that are able to drive with the current dash set up, but my knee kept hitting the dash when working the clutch pedal. I'm 6'1 - 6'2'' and a size 13 shoe. in the photo you can see where i notched the dash, moving the cut out piece a bit higher.[the photo is before final shaping] The finised product is not as clean looking as the original dash layout, but with everything around it blacked out and the steering colum installed it isn't all that noticable. Hated that i had to do it, but it may keep me out of a perdiciment if I have to get to the clutch pedal in a hurry. I had even considered "hinging" the cut out piece that would allow it to appear normal, but would hinge in either direction when it came in contact with my Knee.
    Thanks,
    Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra build 112.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	1860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra build 237.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	1861  

Terry,

Pleased to hear you are making progress and able to put some miles on your car. Just take it slow and easy so you don't have to start all over again!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Trans

Ever thought about a AOD?

One thing that will increase the leg room is to remove some of the padding from the seat back making it thinner. I'm 6' 4" and though it is a bit tight I can clutch and shift without a problem. I do keep a pair of shoes with thinner soles and sides for driving but can get by with standard ones if I have to.

Hope this helps a bit. Sure glad my knees etc are fine, so far at least.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the good comments!

Eddie, thanks for the pictures on how you modified your dash. Like you I am between 6'2"-6'3" weigh about 218 lbs and also have a size 13 foot. This would be a major undertaking and I'm not sure that I want to chop up the dash at this time. But it is a valid idea to help correct the problem.

The cockpit area is really tight for us larger guys. I also have a problem with the seating relationship to the steering wheel. I am used to driving with a more arms straight out position. The steering position in my car is more like a NASCAR arms almost touching my chest. Very uncomfortable for me. I love the car but hate the closeness of the wheel to the seat.

In my FFR Spec Racer I had quite a bit more arm extension room than I do in my FIA. Don't get me wrong...there is NO COMPARISON between the two cars, except for a more comfortable driving position.

I am going to take the seat bottom out of the stock seat and see if thinner foam will help the knee problem. If that doesn't work then I am going to see if my Ultrashield competition seat will fit. However, I don't know what I can do to get the seat further back in the cockpit due to the bulkhead and chassis tubing behind it. Any ideas on that?

It is a dose of reality when your youthful exuberance catches up with you in your later years! I was really tough on my body as a young man, sports, airborne, racing, etc.

Again all your comments are greatly appreciated.

Terry
    Terry
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed

Replace the steering wheel with a set of motorcycle handle bars. more leg room and you could operate the clutch with your left hand .

a knee pad would allow for even less clearance than you already have, but it might help when you do bump your knee. I wish you the best in your making a full recovery.
    Eddie