Thread: Part 15 – Frame Welding is done.

Part 15 – Frame Welding is done.

While some of you are putting your cars together, mine has finally come completely apart. I have finished all of the repairs and modifications to the frame and removed everything that is removable. I took a big box of small parts to the Powder-coater yesterday and the frame goes in next week. I’m smiling really big right now.

Here it is before coating,

Besides all of the work that was necessary to rebuild what the previous owner had done the following changes from original were made, they include moving the radiator support forward and redesigning its shape to allow room for a custom-built radiator and shrouded cooling fans, widening the frame at drivers foot box for more heel room, adding a remote filter bracket, welding in brackets for seat and seatbelt attachments, adding frame tie down loops for trailering, adding attachment brackets for a rear axle brace and rear suspension bump stops. I also took time to weld in attachment nuts wherever it made sense to. Can’t wait to get it all back and start putting it together for real.

To be continued….
    Last edited by RJacobsen; May 19th, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

WOW! Ecellent job and excellent mods!
    Bill D

Slowly accumulating parts to build a period correct 289FIA

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Nice mods Rod!... some really great ideas. I have enjoyed following what you are doing with the car. Keep us posted...

That looks like the trans tunnel up against the wall in back by the creeper??
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    That looks like the trans tunnel up against the wall in back by the creeper??
    Paul, that is an aluminum trim panel for the tunnel. A nice piece that has matching door panels and a rear bulkhead cover.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Sweeeeet! I will look forward to seeing that go in...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Looks good! Great rebuild Rod.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I got the frame back from the powder coater the other day, it looks fantastic!! They did a great job on it and the small parts I had done. They also did a ceramic coating on the headers. For those in the Northern California area contact Steve at Powdercoat It in Sacramento ( www.powdercoat-it.com ). Here’s how it looks.

While I was waiting for the frame I had time to clean up the rear axle/suspension, I installed new hub bearings and seals, calipers and pads and rebuilt the e-brakes.

It feels good to have stuff that finally looks like new, I envy you guys that don't have to go though the clean up process.
    Last edited by RJacobsen; June 11th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Lookin Good

It's great when the plan starts coming together. Things will happen a lot quicker now. Those fat rear axles tell their age......everything looks real good.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Wow it is really looking good Rod.

Rick is right on!

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    Those fat rear axles tell their age..
    Rick, I was wondering about the axles, I noticed that Jag originals are a smaller diameter cast piece, didn't know if mine were from Unique or something the previous owner had made up.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Axles

They look to be made up from a driveshaft. The axles used now are bigger than the old original solid axle but are made out of strong light weight tube, same material used in some driveshafts. The only thing you may run in to is the coil over shock springs get pretty tight with the axle running in the middle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra Build 048.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	1891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra Build 049.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1892  
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick, the axles are the same diameter as my driveshaft, your right about the coil-overs I have already checked that out and plan to use some spacers to get the clearance I need
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Looks excellent Rod! Great progress.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Rod,

I'm not the first to say it, but I'll say it again.....You have done an awesome job and incorporated a lot of extra's that will make the reassembley and life afterwards much easier? Did you bore the extra hole in the front crossmember where the bottom radiator hose passes through? Mine only has the single hole. In your first photo's you can see a portion of your hanging body. how is it suspended and what attatching points on the body did you use?
    Again, great work and thinking ahead!
    Eddie
    Last edited by robbinsshkr; June 14th, 2009 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbinsshkr View Post
    Did you bore the extra hole in the front crossmember where the bottom radiator hose passes through? Mine only has the single hole. In your first photo's you can see a portion of your hanging body. how is it suspended and what attatching points on the body did you use?
    Eddie
    Eddie, I did add a hole to the right side, My engine is a 289 HiPo and has the lower radiator hose on the passenger side, I had the radiator made to match. The body is raised by a chain hoist attached to the ceiling of my garage, I'll post some pictures of that later
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.