Thread: difficult hot start

difficult hot start

351 W stroked to 408, 10.2 compression,
    using a high torque starter.
    the starter is wrapped with heat insulation cloth.

when cold, the engine turns over fairly slowly but without any hesitation. i'm guessing that is a property of the high torque starter.

after a drive to operating temp. and a shut down for fueling, very difficult to start, turns over slowly, but after a 30 minute cool down, all normal.

i'm guessing the starter, but hate to replace if someone has another idea.
    other guess, is the starter solenoid. i've "shorted" across the solenoid, doesn't seem to improve the speed that the starter turns the engine over.

thank you

doug

solenoid

i should have looked in "search".. seems another hot start problem with a very similar description was solved with a new solenoid. so that's where i go now. update when when i;ve replace it.

thanks

doug

You might also want to make absolutely certain your electrical system is redundantly grounded. I had the same problem and the final fix was to use 00 welding cable to ground the engine block to the frame. This means grinding off the powder coat which is no small task.

Phil Souza

i had a similar problem, which was cured by creating a better ground. very embarrassing having to get help from admiring bystanders to push start the car after a short run. I don't remember who suggested this fix but it worked. the distance from the battery to the solenoid and starter requires a strong ground. i used both cables supplied with the kit as grounds, also a strap from the starter to the frame, then ran another cable for the +. no problems since!

thanks to all.

doug

replaced solenoid, no help, but some concern as i "tested" it after re-wiring but before actually mounting the new solenoid. wouldn't work at all. fuel pump started, but starter would not. took a while for this old brain to remember, the solenoid had to be grounded.

will try the extra ground from engine to frame. thanks to all

doug

To check if your ground is poor, jump a test light across from the engine to a clean ground connection like the battery ground terminal, and if it lights at all when you are trying to crank the engine, then your ground is poor, if not then ground is good.

If the ground doesn't help check your timing to make sure it is not advanced to much then if that doesn't help replace the magnetic pic up in your distributor.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear