Thread: Trans leak

Trans leak

Drove my Cobra to work a few weeks ago. When I am on weekend shift I figure I will make the pain of going in less by driving my car.

Easy drive in and easy out. 86 miles total.
    I park in front of the garage and after a couple of hours pushed it in.
    And what too my wondrous eyes should appear, A huge dollar bill size puddle of gear oil.

Looked under the car and it was coming from the bell housing area.
    My first thought was that the gasket where the bearing retainer seals to the trans or one of the bolts came loose. I use a torque wrench on everything but I never rule out anything.

I trailer it to a friends house yesterday who has a lift and what do we see when we pull the trans. The bolts and gasket are fine. I pull the bearing retainer which is also a McLeod HTOB and find the input shaft seal is leaking.
    Great! Where can we get one? And who is going to have one locally?

It just so happens Frank and I rebuilt his toploader a couple of months ago and he still had a new one from his rebuild kit. (he was mainly have a grinding into second problem so we didn't replace the seal on his 2000 mile trans).

Popped the new seal in and back on the road.

One of the great things about a Unique Cobra is the ability too remove the trans without having to remove the interior.

Just thought I would share.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Sorry to hear of your trial, Tony. At least it is back on the road again! Glad you got it fixed so quickly!

What is the history of the trans? Did you purchase it outright or rebuld it yourself? What do you think caused the problem?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    Sorry to hear of your trial, Tony. At least it is back on the road again! Glad you got it fixed so quickly!

What is the history of the trans? Did you purchase it outright or rebuld it yourself? What do you think caused the problem?
    Don't be sorry for me, Paul.

the trans was purchased from Southern Automotive.
    I purchased the HTOB from McLeod and installed it.

Seal had 13K miles on it. It is not a seal I would have chose for this application but it worked for a while and now I have an original style one in the McLeod HTOB.
    The Universe has been restored to order.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Don't be sorry for me, Paul.

the trans was purchased from Southern Automotive.
    The Universe has been restored to order.

OK, as long as the universe is in order, I guess we're good to go.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear