Thread: Lubrication question - rear hub carriers

Lubrication question - rear hub carriers

I recently did a grease job on my 2005 DPK. In addition to all of the jerk fitting locations, I understand we're supposed to check the grease in the hub carriers. On my car there is a turned aluminum fitting on the top of the hub carriers that looks like the access for putting in grease. Does anybody know how that fitting comes off? Is it a threaded or pressure fitting? Their both on real tight.

Dick

Wink Well......

We may be jerks for thinking we own these cars, but those zerk fittings keep reminding us that the cars really own us .

Those fittings on the carriers really turned aluminum? - slick. Usually they're just a stamped steel plug, and they all just press-fit into the hole up there. You should be able to pry 'em out with a couple of screwdrivers and not damage anything. Several squirts of grease downhole will do it - trying to fill that cavity will astound you with how much grease it will take.

One more thing - drill out those plugs and put a grease fitting into them, and you'll never have to take them out again.
    Yeehah

Thanks for the reply and advice TurnpikeBoy. Sometimes I feel like a "jerk" with all the simple questions I've asked. I appreciate forum members like you who are willing to provide us novice car builders with the info we need to keep our cars running. Thanks again.

Dick

Wink My honor, amigo!

Truly. And don't feel like anything except a member of the tribe - we all get stuck on things from time to time, and we all lean on each other for advise since somebody out there has already had to deal with what's troubling us.

I'm happy that the warm weather is back - time to ride again!

-Roger
    Yeehah

Just like Mel Gibson in "Beyond Thunderdome" ... Everyone gets their turn on the wheel.

You're just cruizin along being really cool, enjoyin life, hangin out with the Unique Forum guys when suddenly you're next in line to blert out that one really simple embarrassing question.

Even if you feel like "a jerk" just remember in reality you're a really cool jerk driving a 427SC.

Best regards to a fellow cool-jerk

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Just wait until I start my rebuild Dick. I'm hoping you ask all the "dumb" questions so I don't have to!...lol..