Thread: What type of transmission did you choose and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Yep

+1 to Rod's post.

With low rear end gearing, you will run out of 1st. gear pretty quick. With all that stroker torque you're gonna have, your likely best bet in a 5-spd would be the TKO-600's as they have a taller first gear than the TKO-500's (2.87 vs. 3.27). Richmond 5-spds are also an option, and they do appear to have some selection in how you set up the gear spread. Of course it goes without saying you will pay for this selectability.

The 3.27 first with a 3.31 or 3.25 type rear ratio won't be useless at all, and might even be much more comfortable than the 2.87 (i.e., smoother easier startups). I believe the standard T-5's have 2.95 firsts, but might not be quite enough trans for a big inch stroker - but the World Class models might be OK......check with D&D Performance (http://www.ddperformance.com/index.php) before you go for one of these. Before I start hearing all the shouts about T-5's and how they break, remember these are 2500 lb. Cobras, not 3600 lb. Mustangs - and most of us just don't regularly do holeshots with 10" wide slicks under the car. Stuff like that does make a difference.

As regards the overdrive.....with 482" either the standard 0.64 or the road race 0.82 will be fine, especially with 3.31's or lower in the rear. You will, no doubt, have enough torque to pull the 0.64 high gear and not want for performance. The 0.82 would allow the engine to cruise with a bit more rpm, which may or may not be desirable to you. Your call.

-Roger
    Yeehah

The cam that I am using is a Crower blower specific cam. That's why the good response with the Paxtons. Advertised duration is 288/288 with 228/288 at .050. The cam worked good prior to the blowers but really came alive their addition. From the first planning session with my machinist my ultimate goal was to create an engine that was very streetable. While the crazy power is always on tap she makes for a real fine street cruiser and can be lugged around all day without protest.

65 MPH is at 2700 RPM.

-Geary