Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What type of transmission did you choose and why?

I've got one of those nifty-steering wheel releases from Lee. It is a must have. Pop off the steering wheel and it really improves access to the driver footbox and any under dash work.

Ralph

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

I plan on having one as well. Thanks for the heads-up advice Ralph.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

I chose to ressurect this thread as I navigate my quest for "differential knowledge". My low-performance brain is far too under powered to decypher all of this insightful data. I'm just curious as to what lurks in my undercarrage (no puns please). During a recent wheel-balancing episode, I noticed the techs lowered one of the rear wheels onto a rim to hold it still while they spun the other using my cars drive train. Then they swapped ends and spun the other. They referred to the differential as being "open". I'm pretty sure that both wheels spin when laying drag.

So what it be?
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Tony, you have an open rear or NON - posi type diff. No question about it if they had to hold one wheel still in order to turn the other one. You can lay dual patch "sometimes" with an open rear, but with a posi, you can do it everytime.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Tony, Here’s something to try, jack up the back of the car and, with the car in gear (not running) turn one of the rear wheels by hand. If the other wheel turns the opposite direction without much effort you have the “open” non posi type of differential. I said without much effort because you can do the same thing with a “posi” unit but the clutch pack inside the differential would have to “slip” and the effort to do this would be much greater. Now if you have a “Posi” unit and the shop balanced the tire as you said they would have fried the clutch pack inside the differential by blocking the one side and spinning the other under power. Hope that’s not the case.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure that when the folks at Gran Turismo East said it was "open", I could probably take it to the bank. The rear end in my old '66 Mustang would always only spin one tire. Of course it wasn't a Jag. I'll have to lay some drag and characterize what actually happens back there.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Transmission

I am also a fan of period correct cars. Mine is a FIA car, 302 V8 with wide ratio top loader. The wide ration gives a little more freedom for freeway driving but still lets you run in lower gears while running country roads.
    Dennis M. Swann

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by dmswann View Post
    I am also a fan of period correct cars. Mine is a FIA car, 302 V8 with wide ratio top loader. The wide ration gives a little more freedom for freeway driving but still lets you run in lower gears while running country roads.

What rear gear ratio do you have?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Thanks for the help guys!

I just wanted to let you guys know that you have all been so helpful with this thread. I made my decisions awhile back and I now am the proud owner of a deluxe pallet kit with a 3:54 posi in which I will be attaching my 427 Ponds SO to a Tremec TKO600 5 speed. Not very traditional I know, (I'm sure Alan could attest to my lack of convention), but definitely will fit to my driving situation. You guys have been really helpful and I am thoroughly impressed to see this thread still being viewed and discussed. I also wanted to thank Alan for helping me through those tough decisions. I am finishing up my body buck right now and anxious to move on to the next step. I know my children will be disappointed to see the body come off, because they love getting in and "driving". Thanks for all of the input.
    Vapor Cone, I've been told, occurs just as you break the sound barrier!