Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erson FE rocker arms

Couple more.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA_Dove.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	1922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erson_Roacker_Arms.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	1923  
    Last edited by Jim Harding; June 24th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Pics

After looking at the pics I noticed that most of the rollers have spacers between them. Mine have springs without thrust washere between the spring and rocker arm. Is this normal or was the spacers a upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    After looking at the pics I noticed that most of the rollers have spacers between them. Mine have springs without thrust washere between the spring and rocker arm. Is this normal or was the spacers a upgrade?
    Don't know the history on the Erson FE rocker arms, maybe they have evolved into what I have now. This is the "ready out of the box" part number E918503. I know that OE rockers had springs and washers on the shaft to keep the rocker in-line.
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Nice Jim. Very impressive next to the SA rockers.

DK, Jim is right. the O.E. rockers have springs betweem the rocker arms.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up Nice

Do these use the ball and ball (Chevy type ) pushrods or the ball and cup (Ford type) push rod? I Noticed there is not a center spacer, is that optional. The spacers are an upgrade on FE engines, the springs and shims were OEM design. The spacers will let the valve train turn higher RPM's than the OEM style springs.

Jim, what is the cost of this set up?
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    Do these use the ball and ball (Chevy type ) pushrods or the ball and cup (Ford type) push rod? I Noticed there is not a center spacer, is that optional. The spacers are an upgrade on FE engines, the springs and shims were OEM design. The spacers will let the valve train turn higher RPM's than the OEM style springs.

Jim, what is the cost of this set up?
    Rick, they are cup and ball (3/8"). They bring oil up to the shaft via the center stands at cylinders 3 and 6, same as OE, so the push rods do not need oil holes. There is a spacer in the center, just a tube between the two rockers. The whole set was sitting in my mail box for $829, from RobbMc Performance. Robb McMackin is the guy who developed these for Erson.
    New pushrods (about .250" longer) from Smith Brothers will set me back another couple hundred or so.
    I was looking at Jesel before settleing on the Ersons. More expensive, but I've been told by countless others that they are the best setup for the FE. Only draw back that made me go to the Ersons was I'd have to adapt the oil path up from the lifters through the pushrods. I didn't want to go that route of having to change the oil path.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Looks pretty trick, Jim!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Checked out Jim's new rocker arms in person last night.
    The are impressive especially when compared to the Doves.

Jim let me have his old set for spares if and when mine break.

Weird weather. overcast and a cool dry 67*F.
    I had to wear my jacket on the ride home. Nice little round trip to Jim's.

It is usually hot a humid here.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Just to make you feel better.......Small blocks break too.

I had to rebuild my motor after my first distributor broke and put too much timing in the motor. This spark rattled the ringlands out of 7 of 8 pistons. I thought I got away with it, but later I heard what sounded like rocks in the bell housing. After removing the trans and finding nothing wrong, we put everything back together. A couple of hundred miles later the problem surfaced in a different manner. The funny thing is that we finally figured that that sound I heard was pieces of the pistons hitting the rings in the lobak mufflers.

When we pulled it apart we also discovered that some of the rocker arms were starting to bind on the bearing. So at the end of the day I decided that my car just likes to eat $100 bills, much like a race car.

Justin

Damn Justin, You are a great guy to try and make us feel better.
    Tony

Well, 9512 is now enjoying her new rockers and pushrods and chomping at the bit to get back on the road. Put just a few miles on her earlier this evening to check everything out. Will have to take her out again to put some heat in the engine so I can do the final lash adjustments.
    Thanks to everyone for their input helping me make the decision one who's product to go with. And I'd be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for RobbMc Performance, for supplying the rockers, and to Smith Brothers Pushrods for their hefty pushrods. Both of these parties deserve your business if you ever need something for your car. Both took their time to explain their products and filled my order and delivered them to me in less than a week. I know I'll go back to RobbMc, he has a nice starter motor for my car sitting on a shelf. I just have to get some more green the the cookie jar first
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Good deal Jim.
    See you on the road.
    Tony

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Upchurch View Post
    I had to rebuild my motor after my first distributor broke and put too much timing in the motor. So at the end of the day I decided that my car just likes to eat $100 bills, much like a race car.

Justin

Bummer! What did the distributor do/how did it break to cause that problem? Which one are you using?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear