Thread: Erson FE rocker arms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Erson FE rocker arms

Anyone here running these rockers in their FE motor? With Edelbrock heads too maybe? I have a question or two I need answers to before I purchase these over some other offerings out there.
    Just 2400 miles on my engine, and I just had the second Dove rocker break off the shaft..... gotta install something better to regain some confidence in that motor. Nothing is more frustrating than waiting on the side of the road (with your wife saying she'll never ride in this &*%%#%&^* car again) for a flat bed tow truck to drag your sorry butt home
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim, I'm running Erson roller rockers in my Windsor stroker and have been for about 15K miles. What I particularly like about them is the fact that they hold and adjustment very well. I've got a solid flat tappet cam and after 4K miles, they requre "touching up" only.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

FE rockers

Tony's 351W rockers are not shaft rockers like yours are. Completely different.
    I had 2 of the Dove rockers break on my FE and I know Rick Bagley replaced his too due to breakage. They are (in my humble opinion) junk. I would switch to Erson, Comp, Crane, etc. and get rid of the Dove quickly.

Brent
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Jim, if you talk to Robert Pond, he will tell you Erson is the way to go....that's all he uses in the aluminum 427 S/Os he builds (using his own aluminum 427 S/O "Pond" block) and he is an active drag racer who currently holds the NHRA record hix class with his 67 Ford Fairlane.

If it holds up under drag racing conditions, it should work fine for the street (no matter how heavy footed you are).

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Tony's 351W rockers are not shaft rockers like yours are. Completely different.
    I had 2 of the Dove rockers break on my FE and I know Rick Bagley replaced his too due to breakage. They are (in my humble opinion) junk. I would switch to Erson, Comp, Crane, etc. and get rid of the Dove quickly.

Brent
    Brent, did yours or Ricks break off at an end stand? The first was #4 exhaust and the second was #5 exhaust. Can't put my finger on to what went wrong. Doesn't 'look' like coil bind. Visual check at full lift reveals ample space between the coils and no contact between the retainer and the guide. I know that this is not the way to determine coil bind, but I'd venture it's 95% accurate anyhow. End stands have been the down side to FE motors since number one came out of the mold. Hate to blame it on SA's end stands, but can't find a common denominator as to what caused the failures. Maybe just junk rockers like you said.
    I heard back from Robb at RobbMc Performance.... who I understand designed the Erson set up. Got most of my answers from the "horses mouth" so to speak. He said to check to see if the top of the push rod 'cup' is making contact with the rocker arm body (not just the adjustment ball). If the push rods are too long, (moving the adjusting ball too close to the rocker when adjusting lash) will cause the top of the push rod to hit the rocker arm and eventually break it. If that's my issue, I'll probably need new push rods anyhow with the new Erson set up.

Tony, are you using the SA/Dove setup? Maybe my solid roller, mega lift cam is just too ruff on them.
    Last edited by Jim Harding; June 1st, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim,
    I am using the SA Dove rocker arm set up but I have all new pushrods since Samakow Racing Engines rebuilt my engine.
    We notice that some of the rockers were struck by the pushrod and there was less than 1500miles on the engine.
    Your pushrod might be to long.

After I save up some money I will replace my rocker arm assembly.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I'm running the Pond combination with Ersons... So far (with dyno pulls) no problems... (knock on wood!)

Gino

Damn Jim, Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    They are the one things on my engine I haven't had troubles with. Now I'm worried.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear