Thread: AN fittings on the radiator

AN fittings on the radiator

I would like to run 16AN SSTL lines and fittings to and from the radiator. Can the radiator be ordered with the appropriate weld bungs in place of standard hose nipples?

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill D

Slowly accumulating parts to build a period correct 289FIA

Sure, I have a car in the shop now with braided water hoses, not cheap but it can be done.

Alan

Thanks Alan
    Bill D

Alan
    Could you post some pics of the car?

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill D

I haven't been able to post pics for a while, I guess I have used all my space. It is a Ernie Elliott Nascar motor with a 454 stroked Windsor, the 1st ever built from what we understand.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    I haven't been able to post pics for a while, I guess I have used all my space.
    You have no limit on your disk space.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

What could be the problem, I also can't view new member info, it says I don't have permission to access the info. I haven't been able to post pics for several months now.

Alan

AN fittings

This car belongs to Terry Pendelton, hitting coach for the Atlanta Braves, we have been storing and driving his car for a few years now, tough job but it has to be done. It has a Ernie Elliott 454 CI Nascar engine, over 700 HP on pump gas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-011S.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	1888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-012S.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	1889  

Thanks Alan. That is exactly want I want to do

Cheers
    Bill
    Bill D

Alan,

To run on pump gas I would guess the comp-ratio to be in the neighborhood of 9.5 to 10 which is livable on the street, but still high enough to increase engine temperature. Does the car you are referring to have any cooling issues, as i do not see any fan. Is it a pusher type mounted to the front? Just wanted to ask since there are those with less HP, but still have cooling problems.
    thanks,
    Eddie

Those engines are built to run 200mph and not run hot, I have a Nascar engine in my car and it has never come close to running hot. Every water port is polished for better flow.

Alan

Those engines are built to run 200mph and not run hot, I have a Nascar engine in my car and it has never come close to running hot. Every water port is polished for better flow.

Alan
    I can understand not needing a fan running 200 mph, but It's interesting how it would still stay cool stop light to stop light without that kind of air flowing through the radiator, but then again when you think about it, a deisel engine has a tremendous amount of compression, hauls heavy loads, pulls long steep grades and very rarely have the fan engage unless they are put in manual mode.[referring to semi's]
    So would a higher flowing water pump help with cooling issues?
    Thanks for the reply,
    Eddie

Thanks Alan I always wondered why some engines run hotter than others when all things seem to be the same. I have never thought of the cooling water ports. Casting flashing, missaligned gasket, excess gasket sealer, or minor accumulation of rust certainly could reduce flow.

How extensive was the port polishing?

Ralph

Talking running hot

I think many people have issues with air in the system, wrong thermostadt, using hard water over the years and coating the entire cooling system with a layer of minerals, no water wetter, running with out anti freeze. etc.
    I really don't know who came up with the water out of the garden hose, steel washer with a hole in it instead of a thermostadt, no anti freeze since I don't drive it in the winter, and it cant have any air in it because it is all the way up to the cap theory but they were just a bit off.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

It has the same amount of porting and polishing that a engine built to race has, when it was delivered to us every hole you could look in was polished like a mirror. The cost of the engine in 1993 was over 48K.

Alan

You are absolutely right Brent. But for some of us who have done all those things right it still is puzzling. I guess old engines have an accumulation of junk in the cooling jacket that just didn't come out when tanked or a thinner cooling jacket that contributes to a higher operating temp. That is what pushed me to redesign the sway bar and add a 2700CFM puller. Car stays cool now...as you know

Alan I would have loved to see that engine open it must have been a beauty to behold.

Ralph

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    It has the same amount of porting and polishing that a engine built to race has, when it was delivered to us every hole you could look in was polished like a mirror. The cost of the engine in 1993 was over 48K.

Alan
    And you only bought one?
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Alan
    I would ask how many speeding tickets you have got for running 200 mph, but if your doing that, they wouldn't be able to catch you anyway! That would be an awesome engine to have. Is that the car you use to give potential purchasers a test ride in? It would either make them write you a check on the spot or scare the poot out of them and their wanting to walk back to your shop.
    Last edited by robbinsshkr; June 14th, 2009 at 09:30 AM.

When I was considering buying a kit Butch Capps took me for a "ride" in his 427. Now I think Butch has told me that it was a NASCAR 427 engine that he picked up from a local garage when NASCAR stopped the use of the 427. Well it was quite a "ride"! If I'm driving fast is good, some one else driving fliping through the twisties and hard acceleration gets you adrenaline flowing and makes you hang-on tighter. It was "exciting" to say the least..and of course I brought a kit!

Ralph