Thread: misc build photo's

misc build photo's

Here's a few misc photo's. oil cooler installed [currently being used as an additional miniture radiator due to all the antifreeze in my oil]

exhaust tubing for lower radiator hose. i split a scrap piece of left over tubing, slipped it over the main tube where it passes through the frame for a little extra protection from rubbing a hole through a single tube.

E-brake return spring. not sure how it should be done [never seen any photo's] , but this way is about as simple as it gets and allows a straight pull on the spring, staying inline with the e-brake arm.

Battery mounted to the right side of trunk. I know its not recommended by some due to possable gas fumes and being so close to the fill tube, but the trunk is so small, if fumes are gonna be on the right, they'll make it to the left as well. I sealed the hot post with liquid tape and will make a box, deflector or ?-- to avoid any possability of raw fuel dripping on the battery or post. It also allowed me to shorten the hot cable to the starter solenoid which certainly can't hurt.

Heat shrink for the radiator hoses....if you've never used it, this is a neat product. as you can see, it will form and seal to different sized hoses, tubing and even out of round shaped. just install with a heat gun. [the green writing does come off]
    Thanks,
    Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 005.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	1897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 011.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	1898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 015.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	1899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 016.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	1900  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra 018.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	1901  

Eddie, Very nice. Where do you get the heat shrink? Hope it's not Tractor supply!

cheese,

thanks, i figured you could benefit from these photo's as much as anyone as i know you are at or close to being at that stage of your build. the way i chose to do things are just one persons opinion and not the way things must be done. everything i do or write is to be taken with a grain of salt, because I have no doubts there are better ways of doing them. the one thing that i am certain of is the fact that this forum and all the combined knowledge within, has proven to be invaluable to me countless times and the photos are the biggest help to new builders. that being said.....where are some more of your pictures?
    to answer your question....the hose heat shrink came from jegs. they are about 5 bucks each and are advertized to never loosen up.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

ps....its just a matter of time before tractor supply will stock them! lol
    Last edited by robbinsshkr; June 20th, 2009 at 11:22 AM.

Looks good Eddie.

The pull off springs for the ebrake are fine. As long ass it fully pulls the levers back your good to go and they should self adjust.
    I had some photos of my springs in a post some where.

I like the battery on the passenger side. Mine is on thedriver's side but I do manage to stuff a tool pouch, oil, air pump, fix a flat and misc. things in therebut it would be easier on the driver's side to pull the stuff out.

Are you sure you wanted to heat shrink the radiator hoses.
    Will it cut off easy when you have to work on the engine?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

The currently installed springs for the e-brake are actualy shorter than the ones pictured, for the very reason you speak of. the heat shrink was not put on the ends that attach to the radiator or surge tank, just the tube in between. as a matter of fact, i have the top hose out due to my removing the intake, it just detatches at the radiator and surge and comes off as a complete hose / pipe assembley. you are exactly right, a person would not want to put them any where a hose needed to be twisted to remove. The battery on the passenger side just made more sense to me. although these cars are narrow and most likely wouldn't make much of a difference, i just wanted to distribute the weight a bit due to the fact that with or w/o the girlfriend riding shotgun, the drivers side would have about 130 plus lbs over the passenger side. I'll do a search for your e-brake spring photo's, I'd like to see them.
    Eddie

Heat shrink

The heat shrink for the radiator hose is neat.

Very nice... also great to see you guys collaborating on your builds. When I was building mine so was Brent, and his input was invaluable.

It's Fun building, huh?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Very nice... also great to see you guys collaborating on your builds. When I was building mine so was Brent, and his input was invaluable.

It's Fun building, huh?
    Yeah, That is why Eddie pulled the engine apart so the fun wouldn't stop.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Yeah, That is why Eddie pulled the engine apart so the fun wouldn't stop.
    Well, that and because I wanted to take some pictures for those that have never seen the inside of an engine

I'm glad I'm following Eddie. This is my first car project for fun. I've worked with machinery all my life so it's not intimedating but I always have a boatload of questions. This forum is full of great folks that give their time to help, send out photos and give advise. For me, that's priceless as they say in the commercial. I hope I can return the favor to some builders some day. Hey, have a happy Fathers Day. We all have a lot to be thankful for.
    Tom

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Looks good Eddie! Interesting use of heat-shrink tubing.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear