Thread: First :-) 100 miles

First :-) 100 miles

Well I have just over 100 miles on the car and it has been a ton of fun. I get excited every time I turn the key. Here is my first 100 mile experience.

First drive: It was a 10 mile drive around the neighborhood and I was nerves the entire way. The car ran a little hot but we made it back in 1 piece. The over heating issue was due to air in the system. Once I removed the air all was well and the over heating issue was gone. These things attract so much attention. People standing in their yard running closer to the road waving as I went by. Did not expect that......

Second drive: Took the car to the gas station for its first fill-up. Everyone is right, I might as well pop the hood and pull up a chair because getting gas in this thing is not a normal experience. 5 or 6 people came over as I got gas to ask questions. I leave the service station and head home. As I pull in my driveway and look in my rear view mirror, I notice someone followed me home. Now that is something I never saw coming and made me feel very uneasy. It ended up being a neighbor who saw the car and has always wanted one. I gave him a Unique brochure and all was well.

Past 60 miles: Man this thing sits on the ground and when you press the skinny pedal on the right it just goes. Something I did not expect is when I get out of the cobra and drive my SUV, I miss the power from my cobra. Point the cobra where you want to go and ease down on the go-pedal and you are there. SUV just blows air, I feel like I have more control over the cobra. However, this go-cart on steroids has 100% of my respect and attention when I buckle up.

I took the car on a 30 mile drive last night and while sitting at a light (I was the lead car) there was a 2 car crash at the intersection. It was opposite to me but I hope it had nothing to do with someone looking at the car and not paying attention to the road. I see so many people looking at me and not paying attention to the road. This aspect of owning such an attention getter makes me nerves and takes a little getting use too.

OH BUT WHAT A TON OF FUN. SMILES BY THE MILES.

Thanks Weavers.

Phillip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01248.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	1908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01250.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	1909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01251.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	1910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01252.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	1911  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01260.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	1912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01261.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	1913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01259.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1914  

Great going Phillip!

Car looks fantastic!!

Enjoy every minute of it. The feeling does not go away.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Talking Woohoo!!!

Way to go, Phillip!

When Mom & Dad insured theirs, I remember the insurance agent telling them that one of the biggest things they saw were accidents caused by people gawking at the car.

I know you've got a lot of sorting out to do and tweaking and tuning and such. But, I'm going to tell you this:

Take a good cruise through the countryside just after dawn or just about dusk. I promise you, you will think that God created everything just for you to drive through. And that's what you do in these cars (I assume a motorcycle is similar) - you don't drive "across" the countryside, you drive "through" it. Every one of your senses is involved in the experience. It's really awesome.

Again, congrats on the maiden voyage!!!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thanks guys, the build and drive has exceeded my expatiation. I am ready to take that country road drive. I only wish the weather would get a little cooler. It has been steamy in the deep south the past 8 days and there is no let-up according the the weather man.

Thanks again guys.
    Phillip

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Sweet! Congrats on your success.

We haven't had rain in weeks... aside from the heat, it sure doesn't feel like summer in south MS...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Congrats Phillip! These are certainly a ride that can't be equaled! Make an appointment with your dentist because you'll want your teeth to look their best since you won't be able to wipe the silly grin off your face!

Phillip, very nice car. hope in a couple months mine will be running also. Have picked out almolst identical colors. My wife kids me about post build depression. She wonders what I'm going to do when it's complete!

It will be time to build her one.

Alan

It will hve to be an automatic! But, I like the idea.

I put an automatic in mine so my wife could drive ours .

She has as much fun in it as I do. Any time I want to up grade something on the car all I hear from her is lets go get it now and , are you finished yet so we can go try it out .
    Rick Findley