Thread: searching for fuel leak

searching for fuel leak

Hello forum. I have a very small leak somewhere around the fuel tank. Visually (looking inside the trunk and underneath the rear of the vehicle) I haven't been able to pinpoint the source, so I am going to remove the tank for inspection. I see where the fuel level sender is as well as two lines coming from the top of the tank. I believe those two lines consist of a vent and a line to the fuel pump. Any suggestions on how to remove the tank and possible leak paths would be appreciated. The vehicle is 23 years old and this is the original tank. The battery was recently replaced by a technician from the battery store. The fuel gathers on that side of the body where the tank sits (nearest the battery). The battery wasn't installed with the gentlest of care, but it's hard to imagine the tank would have been damaged from that. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

You should have a line on top, vent, and the fuel supply line is at the bottom. Drain the tank from the supply fitting and remove the 4 bolts holding the tank in. You might have a leak at the lower fuel line that is backing up inside the trunk.

Alan

aluminum and battery acid... ?

Alan, thanks for the reply. Are the lines (specifically the one on the bottom of the tank) metal or rubber? Are these generic items I can buy at a parts store or specific to the Unique fuel tank? This is a first for me (probably one of many as I learn and live with the car), so my questions are based on very limited knowledge. Thanks for your patience. Chris

Hi Chris, I went through that same situation about a year ago with mine. The fittings you're asking about are standard fittings you can probably find at Lowes as well.

My leak turned out to be a seam leak in the tank. It was easily fixed with some aluminum repair paste.

Good Luck!