Thread: Part 17 – Front Suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Zach, Thanks for the input and concern, the photos may not be showing you all that you need to see. The spacer has no ball joint at the connection to the spindle; it was attached to the spindle with a ¾” bolt that goes through the Heim joint, the spacer, and the former lower ball joint hole. I agree with point # 1, and if this were a daily driver I would probably not use this set up, it’s an area I will keep an eye on. I’m not sure I follow you on point #2, the lower control arm had been modified to accept the Heim joint in place of the ball joint that was original to the car , I don’t see how the lengthened lower mount has any more leverage on that connection than before, as the Heim joint allows for free movement. On point #3 a better picture would have helped, the gussets actually attach to the lower part of the spindle by use of longer bolts that also attach the backing plates to the spindle, the “unconstrained noodle situation” that you referred to was never present, but increased loads on the former spindle/lower ball joint connection were, the gussets I added will transfer that load to the rest of the spindle. I too was very skeptical about the way this had been modified and thought that the way the spacer was attached was an accident waiting to happen, I feel good about the current set up and believe it to be safe, but am still open to any other comments.

Heres another view
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RJacobsen; August 19th, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

maybe not

Not an automotive nor structural engineer but I question the strength of the Heim joint in lieu of a ball joint....is it strong enough to sustain the sheer forces applied by the wheel and weight of the car at speed and in a hard turning situation....would be talking to an engineer at the Heim joint factory to determine the sustainable and peak load for the device???? Also, why not make the spacer larger in diameter....1.75"-2" and use a 1" bolt????? the automotive guys I always talk to say use at least twice as big as you think it should be!!!!! Better safe, than having a wheel become dislodged at speed in a tight turn??????

Just remember, when they ask you....you gotta say "I built it"???????
    dickieboy7
    Unique 289FIA-Green
    351C-4V cobra jet
    Toploader
    did it myself..and fix it