Thread: Manifold and air clearner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Manifold and air clearner

On my Unique I have a Torker single plane manifold with a 650 proform carb and the long oval cobra air cleaner 351W.
    The car has problems taking throttle but got better when I replaced the 750 Holley with the 650 proform but still not right. So I bought a Edelbrock Performer dual plane manifold. My mechanic feels that the Performer manifold will not work right and would like me to get a RPM Air-gap first choice or a Performer RPM second choice. Our concern is that both manifolds will
    raise the carb and clearance with the oval air cleaner is only .6 now.
    What I would like to know is what air cleaner are you guys using with a air gap or rpm manifold. Also are the RPM manifolds worth throwing away a brand new Performer?
    Thanks guys
    Lonnie

I have an Performer RPM on my FE and am running a Stellings & Hellings #AC2 (Tony Branda) type air cleaner on a Quick Fuel Q650PV. Going down from the 780 Holley, that I had originally, improved enormously the ability of the car to start out from a stoplight without reving the engine. My problem was the cam/carb combo. The smaller carb increases air velocity. I think if you go with an intake that has increased flow you may also decrease velocity and it may not be an improvement. I guess I would look at carb jetting first.

As Phil says my $.02

Ralph

i have a RPM air gap using a standard 14" round air cleaner and it practically touches on the outside edges. the top the oval should fit since it is not as wide the overall height should be ok with a 2 in or so filter

Lonnie,

what exactly do you meen when you say it has a problem taking throttle? is it trying to load up at an idle, stumbles when you nail the throttle from a stop or just runs poorly through the entire rpm range? Hard to diagnose over the computer, but I would think you could make what you have work??? I wouldn't think a 650 or 750 would be too large on a built 351w, but not knowing the other variables such as cam, jets, etc makes it even tougher, stumbling when nailed from an idle could be a squirter. what do the plugs look like, black and wet? I may be totaly wrong, but I would try messing with the jets or the air / fuel mixture before swapping intakes.
    just a thought.
    Eddie

Thanks guys for the infomation. Sounds like there are air cleaners that will work with the RPM manifolds.
    For more information about the engine and the way it's running please read these post I made 2 years ago.
    http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7308

I am still having trouble with the idea of just throwing the Performer manifold away.
    Seems to me that the RPM manifolds are more of a race manifold like the Torkor and may be no better. I seldom drive the car as I have had a lot of problems with it and my level of confidence in the car is very low.
    Lonnie

lonnie ,

I have a stroked 351w in my car with an air gap intake and i noticed an improvement in my car performance after installing the air gap .

The long oval air cleaner will not fit with the air gap . I went to a short oval from Moon and it has worked fine .

Rick
    Rick Findley