Thread: Conductive Thead Sealant

Conductive Thead Sealant

My oil Pressure gauge is electronic and screws into my remote oil filter assembly. I am resealing all the connections and planned on using Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket liquid (765-1210) for the oil line connections. I am however a bit unsure of using the Permatex for the tread sealing of that oil pressure gauge as it needs to make an electrical connection in order to work properly. Anyone has experience using Permatex on such an application? The tech person at Permatex was not all that helpful. He did suggest I contact Resinlab regarding thier dielectric adhesives.

Ralph

I have ran into the same problem. put enough sealer on it to keep it from leaking and lose conductivity. would it be possible, without looking too tacky,to wrap a small diameter copper wire around the protruding threads of your sending unit [after it's been installed] to the nearest bolt, causing it to ground? I would think it could be done w/o looking tacky while avoiding nonworking or irratic guages. Other than that, i dont know of a sealer that would still allow a good ground while providing a good seal.
    Eddie

Unhappy My take on this

On oil pressure, mechanical is the only way to go. Sending units are fine for temperature, water and oil, but I do no trust them on oil pressure. Use AN type fittings and stainless steel braided line, not the plastic see through junk.

Now you can have this same discussion on the problems related to oil and water temperature sending units.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

The only approach I have used in the past was to coat the male part leaving the first couple of threads without sealant and then the back threads with the coating have to do the sealing job while the uncoated first threads make the ground. With the sealant I have used in the past this worked. I want to use a better sealant this time so the question..

I guess I will use an Ohm meter while I do the assembly to see if I have maintained my ground connection.

Thanks for the suggestion

Ralph

Electric gauges

If it tests pressure or temp I use only mechanical.
    Amp, volt, fuel level, etc. not problem. But on oil, water, fuel pressure etc. mechanical only.

my .02 cents worth
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Thanks Guys appreciate the input. Guess I will be pulling the dash this winter.

Ralph

Question Winter

Ralph, it' pretty straight forward and easy to go mechanical, no need to wait for a winter project. Plus being retired you have plenty of time. Get the parts together then a half day at the worst to install.
    Why wait????
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Retired!! Whew, too busy. Guess that is good. Doing consulting work, work at the church and a never ending "honey dew" list. We are gone at least a 3 months a year that adds to the list. Must admit much self generated.

Got Lil Cobra back together and putting miles on it. Rick wait till you pull the pin!

Ralph