Thread: Ya Really Wanna Do Something Stupid

Ya Really Wanna Do Something Stupid

If you want to feel really stupid try this:

1. Prime and Start up your Cobra replica. (Which is reluctant to keep running because the choke horns have been necessarily milled off)
    2. Get her up on the primaries so she'll back out of the garage.
    3. As she stalls backing out you let her coast back to where you wanted to park.
    4. (Now here's the really good part) You exit without turning the ignition key to "off" position - causing your epoxy coil to overheat to the point that it developed major cracks and splayed out like a bell at the bottom.
    5. 20 Minutes later you look outside to see that it is suddenly raining and you sprint, hop into the car, only to find the key in the on position and a no start situation.
    6. After you muscle the wet car(thank God for the tonneau) back into the garage You find the source of the problem and the collateral damage as the coil chose not to die alone and took out the rest of the electronic ignition with it.

I tried unsucessfully to upload an image as the coil actually looks kinda interesting in it's belled/shattered state. I'll retry later.

Two trips to CJ's Pony Parts and $$$$$'s later she's running fine again.

If I stop kicking myself for being stupid I just might find this funny.

-Geary

-
    Last edited by Aggressor; July 31st, 2009 at 11:13 AM.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Ouch!!! Glad you got it back ship-shape.

Seems others are having trouble posting photos, lately...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Snow Ball

Some times it's like a snow ball going down hill......
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Windshields

Here's one, When I took the windshield off the car I had heard how easy it was to crack them. I took extra care when I was handling it. I didn't leave it in the shop I put it in my bedroom, in a corner where NOTHING could damage it. I wrapped it with an old blanket and put it the corner.

When I came home yesterday my wife fed me but was kinda quiet, then she gave me really good foot rub so I new something was up. When I questioned her she asked if I wanted the good or bad news. I replied to give me the bad. She said she broke the windshield. I thought she was talking about the old Nissan I have. I said its ok I'm going to sell it and it needs a new one anyway. She said Not that one, the one in the bedroom for the Cobra. I asked her how and she said she hit it with the Vacum cleaner. I asked what the good news was and she said Mrs. Weaver assured her they had new ones and I wouldn't kill her for breaking it.

Anyway I still say a Wife that enjoys the same stuff you do and spends money on it is worth life's little incidents now and then.

Hey Diego - Sorry to hear about the windshield but on the good side it buys you future grace when you screw up situations with your wife. That's why I buy Sharon flowers for no particular reason every so often. She'll ask what's the occasion and I just say something like it's Tuesday or I don't really need a reason do I? It does pay off in big benefits down the road. (Insurance)

- Geary

Ouch!! Sorry to hear that Diego! I'm sure she feels terrible about it! You should see all the broken pieces I have sitting around waiting to be replaced.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Tough break... literally, I guess.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear