Thread: Door Latch Hardware Question

Door Latch Hardware Question

Just recently noticed the cover was loose on the pass side, it was missing a screw. I took it to the nutty bolt company and it did not match up with anyhing they have, same thing with the next 3 sources I went to. Does anyone know the size of these little bevel head machine screws and where I can get a few? I am thinking of removing all the fastener and reinstalling with blue locktight
    I spray siliconed the working mechanism on both doors and tightened up all the attaching harware. The driver door seems to stiff! Any suggestions?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

If you know the size smallparts.com a 0-80 would be .06 diameter 80 threads per inch.
    I'm just guess on the 0-80.
    Lonnie

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
    If you know the size smallparts.com a 0-80 would be .06 diameter 80 threads per inch.
    I'm just guess on the 0-80.
    Lonnie
    Thanks, that is a pretty cool site. But I guess I still would need to know the size to order
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Witworth

Could be witworth, measure it with a pocket scale or a caliper and convert it to a fraction.

Thanks for the heads up on these latches. I checked mine today and all of the screws were a bit loose so out came the blue Loktite before anything falls off. Thankfully no screws are missing.

I actually found the screw, talk about needle in the haystack. I opened up the shop vac and went thru about 5 inches of dirt with a magnet....what luck!
    Yes, all of my hardware was also loose, but if you snug them up, the latch binds up. I am talking snug, not even tight! A few screws are just floating in mid-air the others are sitting on the door upolstery
    Dave

You should be able to make up some shims to fit the latches. I didn't build my car but noted that it has some wood shims fitted and the doors close smoothly so someone before me went to the trouble of getting this to work right.

My pas side door kept popping open when I hit a bump. I took the bolt that is in the body part of latch out and added another washer and it closes real smooth and stays shut. This is the bolt that the wedge shaped piece of metal of latch attaches to.

Lucky

Good deal finding the screw in the vacun cleaner. I'm so happy for ya I'm going to drink a cool one.

When I was still sorting mine out the wife complained about the passenger side door being loose on a drive...... huh? turned out the shoulder bolt had worked its way loose from the hinge! The only thing holding it in place was the latch.

Got keep checking and tightening.....
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Check the tires....

When Brian was under the car last night cleaning the brake dust and assorted fluids from the last track day, he happened to look at the right rear tire and saw a roofing nail right in the middle of the tread! Not a good thing to have there at speed. So I guess its not a bad thing to add a check of the tire treads on your periodic inspections. Good drives to everyone this weekend.....

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    Good deal finding the screw in the vacun cleaner. I'm so happy for ya I'm going to drink a cool one.
    Unreal huh!!! LOL, I still cant believe it!
    Dave