Thread: New Member Looking for Advice

New Member Looking for Advice

Hello all,
    I don't have a cobra but have always wanted one. Now that I'm 60, I guess it's about time to make the move. I just don't want to make any mistakes and end up regretting it later. I joined this forum because someone told me Unique makes good cobra cars. Also, since I'm in Greenville, SC, the builder would be close for a visit.
    Right now I looking to learn as much as possible about these cars before my purchase. Any tips from the group would be greatly appreciated.

Unique Kit

Use the "search tab" on the top of the home page and you will find hundreds of posts that answer that very question.

In my opinion, as unvaluable as it may be, if you want to built a kit Cobra there will be one VERY clear choice if you do your research.

Have fun and good luck
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Welcome Dawg... and like Brent said, there are many questions (asked and answered) like yours that you can search for to find the info you need.
    For me, and everyone else that posts here, you're going to find that we're just a little bit biased towards Unique Motorcars when it comes to which make of Cobra replica to own. There are others like ERA and Kirkham that are also excellent choices. Do your research and if possible, visit the facilities to see how they are made, and even get a ride in one of their products.
    Good luck and good hunting for your car.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Ditto what the last two guys said...... that question has been asked answered a gazzilon times. Bottom line (for me anyway) is the fact that the Weaver's are there through thick-n-thin. The product and service are second to none.

Do your search here for feedback, as well as on Club Cobra. If cost is an issue - Unique is by no means the least expense.... nor is it the most expense. But they have been doing this for sometime now, which speaks well for the Company, the product..... and their customers.

Good luck!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

less than 25 miles from you

Hi Road Dawg ,
    I live in Easley S.C. and have a Unique . I know of about 3 more Uniques in the area .

I looked at many of the Cobra builders and visited some including Unique before I bought mine .

I have never regretted my decision buying from the Weavers and , as said by many , the service after the sale is 2nd to none .

Everytime I go to a car show I always get comments about how well built the car is as far as fit and finish .

I am out of town for another week but would be more than happy to show you mine and take you for a ride if you would like .

The Pigion Forge Shades Of The Past car show is comming up the week end of Sept 10TH , 11TH and 12th . The Weavers will be there along with alot of their customers with their cars . I plan on being there also .

It would be a very good time for you to see many of the Unique cars ,talk to the buildera and meet the Weavers from Unique .

Send me a PM on this web site with your contact no and I will call you when I get home .

Traveler
    Rick Findley

New member looking for advice

Traveler, I sent a PM with my phone number. Thanks for the invitation to meet you. Thanks to all who respond as well. I realize I have to do a lot of research before my first purchase and look forward to tips from this forum. Are there any common blunders folks make when they buy a cobra for the first time?
    Bill W

I think any one who has built a car, no matter which manufacturer, would agree the most common "blunder", is estimating the cost. Perhaps the next is sizing the motor.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

I don't think I'll be building a car, more likely to buy an existing cobra within the next year or so. I don't know that I have the mechanical abiltiy to build a cobra. I need to do more research so I don't make the wrong choice. As far as engine choice, I'm thinking about a 427. Great engine! But, and I know this might sound crazy, I worry about miles per gallon. Right now gas is relatively cheap, what happens if it skyrockets up to $5.00 per gallon? That won't stop me from getting a 427 engine, but it's a concern just the same.
    What say y'all?

Lots of good deals out there right now. If you are concerned about the gas mileage, well............. maybe you should consider a Mustang GT
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

horsepower vs mpg

You can build a motor that will give you ample power and get better than 15 MPG if you are smart about it....Or you can build a monster that will pass everything except a gas station...In which case, you then buy a Dually and an enclosed trailer to haul your stuff around....I have adequate HP and have driven my car to Pigeon Forge from Birmingham and got over 16 MPG and that is with a few 70-100+ run-ups on the interstate to entertain folks during the trip....If you are truly worried about MPG consider a small block...Lots of power and lighter than a big block...just my 2 cents...but you will not be unhappy with a Unique car!!!!!
    dickieboy7
    Unique 289FIA-Green
    351C-4V cobra jet
    Toploader
    did it myself..and fix it

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    RD,

Since you mentioned the 2010 Carlisle show in the Pidgeon Forge thread, I thought you might want to consider the 2010 Unique Homecoming event (Alan can tell you when it will be happening). It is a great time to see first-hand the rapport that the Weavers have with their customer base, and it happens just before Carlisle.

They are great folks with a great product! You'll see lots of cars and owners, the factory, cars in process, parts, goodies, etc... definitely worth the trip.

But hey, why wait to visit Gadsden until next May? Call them and schedule a visit... then you could go to the Homecoming as one of the family!!!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

Mileage

Road Dawg, Welcome to the forum. If you want a 427 FE build do it. I'm running a 390 with .060 over - approximately 403 C.I. Before adding the twin Paxtons I was routinely getting around 20 MPG highway on dual quad 600's. When the Paxtons were added and dialed in I got as high as 21.15 MPG. With recent HP mods we're getting in the 16 -18 range. We just did a 705 mile loop attending the Shelby American Automobile Club convention a few weeks ago. I figure 18+ mpg on the PA Turnpike running about 80 mph with a trip average of 16.

Email me at glsarno@verizon.net for any questions.

-Geary