Thread: kind of slow of late, so here's a question

kind of slow of late, so here's a question

Forum members, it's been mentioned that it's been kind of quiet here lately so I thought that maybe it's time for another rookie question from me to get the brain trust working out there. I could use some more space behind the wheel of my '86 Unique 427. The seat's back as far as it will go but the top of the windshield frame is in my line of sight. The previous owner put in more seat padding, I believe, so that may be contributing to the cramped fit. I'm 6' so getting some level of comfort should not be that difficult. I know others have taken the seats off the tracks and bolted straight to the floor. So that's my question. How do I bolt my seat directly to the body when there aren't any provisions on the seat bottom to do this? There are tracks on the bottom of the seat that hold the seat onto the floor tracks (L-brackets). If I remove the tracks from the seat bottom, there's basically a flat piece of partricle board (or whatever the seat bottom is made of) and that's it. Any ideas? And I would really like to do something about the position of the steering wheel/column, but that's another topic altogether. Thanks, Chris

carriage bolt the the seat to the seat frame and then bolt to the body

Tilt the seat back by lifting the front of the seat about 1-2 inches, it lowers your head. Also get rid of the factory plywood seat cushion frame. Sew the leather cushion sides together and use velcro to attach the seat cushion directly to the fiberglass frame. That will also lower you quite a bit. See my pictures on my Unique space here.
    Jer

Jerry, thanks for the idea. I will definitely take a look at this option. Sounds like it might help quite a bit. Regards, Chris