Thread: Toploader linkage

Toploader linkage

I think I probably need a linkage adjustment. When in 3rd or 4th gear and going down a hill in idle, the transmission slips out of gear and goes into neutal. Has this happened to anyone else? I finished the car in June and have about 900 miles on it. Thanks.

Had the same problem. Look at the positioning of the rubber boot around your shifter. I repositioned mine and it fixed the problem.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Hole in Tunnel/Boot Ring/Shifter

I also had a similar issue with the shifter jumping out of second gear. This was with a Tremec 5 speed. Linkage and trans is fine.
    The real issue was the cutout in the fiberglass tunnel and then the installation of the chrome boot ring. The trick is to cut enough body away and still have enough to screw the boot ring onto. It's tricky, but nothing complicated, just take your time.

If the suggestions offered don't solve the problem then you might have to go under the car to see that the linkage is moving the shaft on the side of the tranny all the way to it's stop. It should go as far as it can since what you are describing might be a result of wear inside it but hopefully not. The shifter linkage doesn't hold it in gear, just moves the forks inside enough to fully engage it. Worn bearings can cause transmissions to jump out of gear.

Thanks guys, I'm sorry about the slow response. The broblem was the boot that slides shift. A simple fix. Thanks for your help.