Thread: im done with flat tappet cams

im done with flat tappet cams

hi everybody, after wasting the second edelbrock performer rpm hyd. cam in my FE , I`m going to go to a hyd. roller. i am looking for some feedback from those of you using a hyd. roller setup (likes, dislikes, specs, manufacturers). as much as i enjoy getting up to my elbows in an engine, this is getting old fast. i toyed with making the swich last time, wished i had. i guess edelbrock just isnt what it used to be. thanks for any input you guys can give. if you dont want to leave your opinion on the internet for the world to see , please leave me a PM here. at least it happened at the end of the year this time. later, brian.

What Happened?

What happened to the cam?

dave,, the first cam went about 1000-1200 miles started to tick, then clack.had multiple clacks by the time i got home (8miles). lost about 15 lbs oil pressure. pulled both valve covers and 2 lifters could be depressed against the lifter spring. pulled the intake and found 2 intake lifters with the face ground off. found another intake almost as bad, but not thru yet and an exhuast that was just starting to go bad. the cam was toast too. havent pulled it down yet but im sure it`ll look the same. started failing exactly like the first. it wont be as bad this time, i was only around the corner, but the damage is already done. im putting in a hyd roller, should have done it 300 bucks ago. later, brian.

Brian, are you running synthetic oil?
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

tony, im using valvoline vr racing oil w/ compcams break in lube for exra zinc. 30 min. break in. this one didnt make it to 1000 miles. later, brian.

Brian,

whats the theory behind switching to the hyd-roller. Do they tend to live better on the street, require less lash adjustment or ? I can see losing one cam, but a second one, also with low miles?? Is everything oiling well, proper lash adjustment, no coil bind, correct pushrods,etc? I'm curious to know what you find out as i too have a low milage engine and want to avoid your same fate. I dont think its as important as some applications, but with the cam i had in my race car i would always back off the rockers so it didnt sit through the winter at max lift on some of the valve springs [816 lift] solid roller. I look forward to hearing what is causing your problems.
    thanks,
    Eddie

eddie, at this point ive got no idea whats going on . im thinking the ramp up on the cam might be alittle too steep for a flat tappet. the cam specs the lift at 5.75 with a 1.6 rocker arm with .050 for i think 282 degrees. im using 1.7 rockers so im getting .588 and a few more degrees of duration at .050. edelbrock heads call for a max lift of .600 (its actually.610 from the information ive gathered). last time i had it apart i check the lifter bores for excessive bore clearance and they were good. im wanting to get into a hyd roller, just under .600 lift so i can keep the high lift and duration without swapping out a cam every year. its my understanding that roller cams are much easier on lobes and lifters in applications that use steep opening profiles. when i get the motor apart ill know more and ill post it. later, brian