Thread: ouch

Unhappy ouch

malfunctioning dist. led to a big back fire and turned into a small carb. fire. it toasted the hood before i could get it put out. minor damage to carb and plug wires and wiring, all easily fixed, but it looks like am going to need a new hood and a complete repaint. after the fire i had the carb rebuilt, replaced cap, rotor and wires. when i fired it up i discovered that the mechanical advance was sticking. sometimes it would advance other times, nothing, sometimes i would get a few degrees of advance and maybe it would come backdown on deceleration. long story short the dist has been sent out for repair and i am waiting for the paint est.
    Alan, if you read this- what does it take to get a new hood, est. cost?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3398.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	2058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3393.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	2059  

Scott;
    I'm not trying to highjack your thread but I would be interested in a price for a hood also. I ran off to Haiti for about five months last year to do a job and left the hood up on the prop rod. I've had it weighted all around the edges all summer to try and ease the warp out of it but it didn't work. I'm thinking maybe a street hood I can cut out for a taller rivit-on scoop, solving two problems for the price of one.
    Bill Stradtner
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

warped

Yours warped on driver, passenger or both?

bill, try propping the hood on the other side for 5 mos. might sound crazy but i bet it works.
    scott, how long was it burning? whats the bottom side of that hood look like? later, brian.
    Last edited by brfutbrian; October 25th, 2009 at 08:42 AM.

i seemed forever but was probably a couple of minutes. it was not a big hot fire so I did not even notice it at first. the bottom of the hood has a rubber undercoating which looks ok. my painter is worried that since it was able to bubble the paint that the fiberglass has lost its integrity It also seems to have warped the hood along the passenger side

Scott, it would seem that a good bodyman with some experience doing fibreglass repairs should be able to fix that so that you would not know it was ever damaged. Are you going to claim it on insurance? By the way, did you have an air filter on at the time?

Unhappy

My hood is warped (twisted, actually) on the driver's side and I think moving the hood prop to the other side would just make it worse. I'm a reloader so I had it weighted down in my two-car oven all summer with boxes of bullets, washers, sockets, etc. on both sides and it didn't help. When I take the weight off it just comes back to it's original position. Also, it's down about 3/8" over the radiator, so when that's shimmed up it will be much worse. I've thought about putting it under tension from below with turn buckles or something similar and putting a heat gun on it but that could get dangerous. I don't see another solution than to replace the hood, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaving the US for a couple of months on Thursday so if you have a good one, fire away!
    Bill Stradtner
    427 S/C #9442

Unhappy

That's just nasty..... my condolences
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Scott
    From your images the hood and cowl damage really does'nt look that bad. I've had some recent experience reshaping my own hood and the affected areas can just be cut out and resculpted in glass. The major problem as I see it is the paint retouch or redo.

Bill
    My experience with a heat gun on glass is that fiberglass takes heat faily well and will probably not be reshapable with this technique. An experience glasser should be able to make cuts into the source of the warpage relieving the affected areas. The hood could then be worked into a relaxed corrected state prior to reglassing.

-Geary

Scott I sent you a pm.

Alan

no air cleaner at the time, i had been taking the car for a short spin after changing the fuel filter. i will be spending some time with my paint guy to figure out what we can do about the hood

Thanks, Geary. I'll look into that when I get back
    Bill
    427 S/C #9442

assuming the worst, would it be more economical to do the glass work on the existing hood which may include re glassing the scoop area and shaping the hood, especially on the drivers side fender line (Which has a a warp corner to corner on the passenger side with almost 1/4inch rise in the middle) or start with a new hood