Thread: Part 19 Tilton Pedal Assembly

Part 19 Tilton Pedal Assembly

If you have been following along you know that my car was not only missing a lot of parts but came with an assortment of spare parts as well. One of the extra parts was a Tilton 600 series overhung mount pedal assembly. This is a new part that was either intended for this car by the previous owner or just somehow got into the boxes with all the rest of the stuff, either way I had it and debated on whether or not to use it or just install the original pedals which I also have. In the end I decided to go ahead with the Tilton set-up even though I had already cut in the holes for the original pedals. (O well a little fiberglass fixed that).
    The Tilton set-up is very different from the standard Unique design in that the master cylinders face backwards off the top of the assembly. The whole thing is more commonly installed under the dash of whatever car it is going in but in this case I mounted it through the top of the foot-box. By using this assembly I now have 6.2 to 1 ratio pedals instead of the upside down mounted 5.5 to 1 ratio floor pedals that came with this car. It also moves the master cylinders away from the header heat and allows me to angle the pedals more towards the driver. On the down side it requires remote fluid reservoirs. All in all this ended up being a ton of work (I had to build a custom fluid reservoir and mounting bracket) and may not function any better than what is on the newer Unique cars, but it’s done now and unless it proves to be less than adequate I’m not changing it. Anyway here are the pictures.

Pedal assembly

Needed a cover for everything. I plan to use this later to vent the foot-box

Added some angle iron to attach the assembly to and add strength.
    ]

]

Remote reservoir has 3 different size separate chambers with sight glasses

Last edited by RJacobsen; November 14th, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

More photos

To be continued…
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod.
    I really like the work you've done with the Tilton's. The workmanship is excellent and, of most importance, looks correct for the vehicle. The remote fills again show the high quality of craftsmanship. As an additional bonus you've beaten the proverbial header heat problem.

I'm not trying to fluff up your ego here - I just really like it.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; November 14th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Rod,

I really need to get over to your place and get an up-close-n-personal look at your progress.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thumbs up

Rod,
    Great job! You have eliminated the heat issue that is always of some concern in these cars. Doing it in a more complex way has always been our method of choice and wins 2 thumbs up from Brian and I. The reservoir looks like it came from a piece of billet and that you probably spent a few hours on a mill someplace. Nice work.

Bill

Geary, Thanks for the kind words, seems like I can always count on you to keep me motivated.

Phil, Come on over, the car is still in the same spot the last time you saw it. Oh and bring a wiring diagram with you when you come please.

Bill, Thanks for the thumbs up, the reservoir was made from 3 x 3/16 flat aluminum, lots of bending, welding, filing, polishing, etc, etc. The one pictured is actually the second one I made, the first one was shaped differently and had smaller reservoirs, a few hours on a mill would have been alot easier I'm sure.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Rod,

I really need to get over to your place and get an up-close-n-personal look at your progress.
    Phil, Not keeping track but the last time you saw the car was over 4 years ago. Really
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by RJacobsen View Post
    Phil, Not keeping track but the last time you saw the car was over 4 years ago. Really
    That can't be right. 4-years? Nah, that can't be right. I should have come over today, but ended up going on a bike ride with the grand kids.... couldn't ask for better weather for the bike ride or the Cobra.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

OUTSTANDING craftsmanship really well engineered and pretty too boot!

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    That can't be right. 4-years? Nah, that can't be right. I should have come over today, but ended up going on a bike ride with the grand kids.... couldn't ask for better weather for the bike ride or the Cobra.
    Doesn’t seem right to me either, but I think it is. Time sure flies when you’re having fun. Just give me a call if you’re coming over to make sure I’m here.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

SUPERB work Rod. A buddy of mine has that set up on his car and it works fine.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Cool rain

how do you keep water from leaking around the pedals if you are running in the rain????
    dickieboy7
    Unique 289FIA-Green
    351C-4V cobra jet
    Toploader
    did it myself..and fix it

Quote Originally Posted by rldunn7 View Post
    how do you keep water from leaking around the pedals if you are running in the rain????
    I think more water will get in the footboxes from the hole in the roof when your running in the rain but putting a gasket or sealer there will take care of pedals just fine.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by rldunn7 View Post
    Tony has it right, the pedal assembly is mounted to a base I made from 1" square tube, that base has a rubber seal on the bottom to seal it to the foot box, the cover I made has a rubber seal on it as well. I was more concerned with fumes from the engine compartment than with water but I think I'm OK with both.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    WOW! Nice work Rod. You and the Carlsons really raised the fabrication bar!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear