Thread: Engine Builders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Engine Builders

Would like some advice/opinions from the experts. I definitely want to go big block and that raises the question, where to go to get it. I know many on this forum have used Southern Automotive but I would like to know of others experiences. Listed below are some FE builders I'm aware of:

1. Southern Automotive
    2. Keith Craft
    3. Robert Pond
    4. Survival Motorsports
    5. Gessford Machine
    6. FE Specialties
    7. Genesis

I will probably run a TKO 5 speed due to planned highway driving.

Thanks,
    Frank

Frank,

not sure about the other guys, but i can vouch for S/A in the fact that if there is a problem, they will go out of their way to make it right. They sent their engine builder, Lyle from GA to southern Indiana with new heads and a intake to take care of an internal antifreeze leak. I also discovered a crack in the base plate on the carb, a few weeks later.......a new holley was delivered. Good people to deal with!
    Eddie

S/a

Eddie, thanks for the response. I know a lot of owners have used S/A for their engines. I've tried to read as many posts as possible doing my research. Did you go with a 427? If so, did you use an original 427 SO block or possibly one of the new Genesis or Pond blocks? Any issues since the problems you mentioned were corrected?

Frank

Frank,

I went with the 452 / super FE. I havent had any more problems with internal antifreeze leaks, but the last time i drove it, i heard a fluttering in the exhaust. eased it back to the house [just a few blocks away], pulled it in the garage and could hear a loose rocker. adjusted the rocker and fired it back up, but there is still a clacking sound. I either need to give it another 1/2 -1 turn or i'm thinking i may have a lifter going away. hopefully it just needs a bit more adjustment, but i'm pretty confident i did it correct the first time......kinda hard to mess up a valve adjustment on a hyd-roller cam. i hope to have it lined out by the weekend. car only has about 100 miles on it. I'll let you know what i find out.

Thumbs up Soutern Automotive

I had Bill build me a 427 Side Oiler, Reed Cam, solid lifter engine with single quad.

It's a stock bore Ford block with orignal forged TRW pistons, cut down so with the Edelbrock Aluminum Heads it's about a 9.8 -10.0 to 1 compression engine. Original steel crank, with Lemans rods. Has a complete billet valve train.

Built in 2002, it's been a very good engine with no issues. I would go that route again, no regrets.

Main thing, have a good idea of what you want in an engine a be honest with yourself on why you need it built that way. Then sit down and go over your engine with the builder and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Enjoy your build.
    Last edited by eliminator; December 16th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Eliminator,
    Thanks for your input. I plan on using the car for cruising, Auto-X and maybe track day kind of stuff. I think a 427 C**ra should have a big block and that will help with resale value if that ever becomes an issue. Would like a motor with a big flat torgue curve, hydraulic roller and maybe fuel injection. Really like the Dynatek Classic FI!.

Frank