Thread: Engine Builders

Engine Builders

Would like some advice/opinions from the experts. I definitely want to go big block and that raises the question, where to go to get it. I know many on this forum have used Southern Automotive but I would like to know of others experiences. Listed below are some FE builders I'm aware of:

1. Southern Automotive
    2. Keith Craft
    3. Robert Pond
    4. Survival Motorsports
    5. Gessford Machine
    6. FE Specialties
    7. Genesis

I will probably run a TKO 5 speed due to planned highway driving.

Thanks,
    Frank

Frank,

not sure about the other guys, but i can vouch for S/A in the fact that if there is a problem, they will go out of their way to make it right. They sent their engine builder, Lyle from GA to southern Indiana with new heads and a intake to take care of an internal antifreeze leak. I also discovered a crack in the base plate on the carb, a few weeks later.......a new holley was delivered. Good people to deal with!
    Eddie

S/a

Eddie, thanks for the response. I know a lot of owners have used S/A for their engines. I've tried to read as many posts as possible doing my research. Did you go with a 427? If so, did you use an original 427 SO block or possibly one of the new Genesis or Pond blocks? Any issues since the problems you mentioned were corrected?

Frank

Frank,

I went with the 452 / super FE. I havent had any more problems with internal antifreeze leaks, but the last time i drove it, i heard a fluttering in the exhaust. eased it back to the house [just a few blocks away], pulled it in the garage and could hear a loose rocker. adjusted the rocker and fired it back up, but there is still a clacking sound. I either need to give it another 1/2 -1 turn or i'm thinking i may have a lifter going away. hopefully it just needs a bit more adjustment, but i'm pretty confident i did it correct the first time......kinda hard to mess up a valve adjustment on a hyd-roller cam. i hope to have it lined out by the weekend. car only has about 100 miles on it. I'll let you know what i find out.

Thumbs up Soutern Automotive

I had Bill build me a 427 Side Oiler, Reed Cam, solid lifter engine with single quad.

It's a stock bore Ford block with orignal forged TRW pistons, cut down so with the Edelbrock Aluminum Heads it's about a 9.8 -10.0 to 1 compression engine. Original steel crank, with Lemans rods. Has a complete billet valve train.

Built in 2002, it's been a very good engine with no issues. I would go that route again, no regrets.

Main thing, have a good idea of what you want in an engine a be honest with yourself on why you need it built that way. Then sit down and go over your engine with the builder and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Enjoy your build.
    Last edited by eliminator; December 16th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Eliminator,
    Thanks for your input. I plan on using the car for cruising, Auto-X and maybe track day kind of stuff. I think a 427 C**ra should have a big block and that will help with resale value if that ever becomes an issue. Would like a motor with a big flat torgue curve, hydraulic roller and maybe fuel injection. Really like the Dynatek Classic FI!.

Frank

KC 427 SO (482 stroker)

I am in the process of building. Should receive deluxe pallet kit in Jan. I have a Ponds 427 Side Oiler built by Keith Craft. It is a 482 stroker and I have yet to have it in a car. I will say that Keith Craft has not been easy to communicate with after the sale. Many unanswered emails and many unreturned telephone calls. I hope that I will not encounter problems with this brand new engine, but for the moment I can't vouch for the engine yet. More to come in the near future. I am mating this engine, 625 hp, to a tko 600. Good luck with your decision, I have heard nothing but positives about SA.
    Vapor Cone, I've been told, occurs just as you break the sound barrier!

Kc 482

drbb,
    Very interested in how yours turns out. Your combination is pretty much what I'm considering. Really like the looks of the Pond blocks. Robert Ponds also offers complete engines but I haven't been able to find any info. on them. Good luck with the build.

Frank

I have a KC / Pond 482 and love it! Great Power and driveable....

send me a pm and I can give you my contact info if you want to discuss more....

I have a Pond 427 aluminum S/O stroked to 482 (624 hp/623 torque) built by Robert Pond.

I've put about 4K miles on my car and I love the engine and performance.

If you would like more info you can call me

Al
    818-519-6007

Southern Automotive Stroker

We (Sandy and I) had a 427 side oiler stroked to 484 cu. in. by Bill and Susan Parham's shop. It's a dual quad setup, that dynoed 525 HP with 560 lbs. of torque. In the past 5 years, we've road raced at Pocono PA northcourse, auto crossed, and trip/joy ride to local cruises and shows. The engine always starts, idles and will do anything else you have the guts to do. The Parhams answer their phone calls, talk to me or my mechanic when we have tuneup questions. I just call for any questions at all, never made to feel silly. Recently, I wanted to know the highest MSD chip I could safely use. Susan passed me to Lyle ( their lead engine builder) and he gave me the answer for my engine - 6,000 rpm. Southern gives you a manual and a guarantee when you leave with the engine.
    I would never even consider another Ford Engine builder. They build it correctly and they back it. What else could one be looking for?

The 427 SO engine in my car was built by Lee Hurley of Hesco in Birmingham AL. I bought the car with this but did contact Lee to ask about what I had bought and found him to be very helpful regardless of the fact I wasn't his customer and where I live it wasn't all that likely I would be. The engine was built in 91 but only has about 4000 miles on it, though I don't know how it was driven but does run well and has all the power I care to have, dyno'd at 493 at 5400 rpm, running 91 octane pump gas. Hesco seems to currently specialize in modifiying engines for Jeeps but in the past Lee was Alison's engine builder and has some NASCAR wins to his credit, suggesting he knows how to make an FE engine stay together.

Engine Builders

I appreciate everyone's reponse.

Slidewinder: I defintley would like to talk to you about your Robert Pond engine. I will give you a call.

Davebetts: Thanks for your comments on SA. Did Lyle build you engine? Any idea how many guys build their engines?

Arrowdriver: Thanks for the heads up on Lee Hurley and Hesco. I will have to look into him/them further.

Thanks,
    Frank

Here is a piece snipped from a site that seems to sum up Lee Hurley's background.

Lee Hurley, president of HESCO, has a storied past in the racing scene. From 1975-1977 Lee fielded engines in four AMC IMSA RS sedans for various independent drivers giving him 13 Daytona wins. He has also built engines for Neil Bonnet, winning two NASCAR championships. For two years, Lee worked for Speed Sports (a high-performance machine shop), and then spent two more years with Bobby Allison Racing -designing and building engines and chassis components. In 1971, he opened HESCO, which has now grown to 21 employees -offering full machine shop services, automotive engine and marine drive dynamometer research and testing -plus load absorbing chassis dynamometer tuning.

Googled Lee and find that he is a legend. I'd love to go have a coffee with him as I bet he has some great stories to tell.

Check 2004 in the Alabama Hall of Fame following

http://www.aarpinc.org/HallOfFame.html