Thread: Ford factory ignition timeline...

Ford factory ignition timeline...

Been browsing through parts catalogs during all the cold weather, and I've come up with several odd questions about the Windsor small-block's factory ignition.

1) When did Ford make the switch from socket terminals to HEI terminals on the distributor cap?

2) When did they switch from plug wires going across the rocker covers to wires going around the front of the covers and then peeling off at each cylinder?

3) When was Duraspark introduced?

4) And TFI?

Like I said, these are odd questions, with no real bearing on anything. But, I have an idea of when the various switches occured on Chev..., ahem, the other brand, and just got to wondering about Ford. Definitely a case of cabin fever.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

1) This was in 1976 with the introduction of Duraspark II. The original Duraspark was introduced in 1973 with the old style cap.

2) I don't know.

3) See #1 - DS-II was available until the mid 1980s. The 85 Mustang GT 5.0 was available with either a carb or EFI. The carb car has DS-II and the EFI car had TFI.

4) TFI was intruduced in the early eighties for use on EFI cars. These were available on 302 (5.0) and 351W engines. TFI was used on 351W to the end of production. TFI on the 302 was replaced by the Ford EDIS wasted spark system in 1990.

EDIS was used for over 15 years and has been replaced by COP systems.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    1) This was in 1976 with the introduction of Duraspark II. The original Duraspark was introduced in 1973 with the old style cap.

2) I don't know.

3) See #1 - DS-II was available until the mid 1980s. The 85 Mustang GT 5.0 was available with either a carb or EFI. The carb car has DS-II and the EFI car had TFI.

4) TFI was intruduced in the early eighties for use on EFI cars. These were available on 302 (5.0) and 351W engines. TFI was used on 351W to the end of production. TFI on the 302 was replaced by the Ford EDIS wasted spark system in 1990.

EDIS was used for over 15 years and has been replaced by COP systems.
    Wow Patrick, good job, If this was a catagory on Jepardy you could be rich.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"