Thread: Mini Starter

Mini Starter

Thinking of replacing the OEM Ford starter with a high torque mini starter. Can anyone using one of these recommend one make over another? I don't want to throw a dart at a catalog and pick one that others have found to be not up to par.

Snow has finally melted enough for me to get into the garage and continue with the winter mods.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Starter

Jim:

Dutton Performance in Alabama built my FE and installed a Powermaster XS Torque, part number PWM-9506 back in late 2004. So far it has worked perfectly (I just jinxed myself didn't I). I checked and Summit sells it for $237.95 plus SH & tax. They also have several other options.

Stan
    427 Roadster #4279465
    Dutton Performance FE
    3:54/Tremec TKO 600
    Benicia, CA

starter

I installed the same Powermaster 9506 as Stan. Only in use for 2 months, but works great so far.
    Gary

Thanks, two happy guys with the same starter Should narrow down my search.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harding View Post
    Thinking of replacing the OEM Ford starter with a high torque mini starter. Can anyone using one of these recommend one make over another? I don't want to throw a dart at a catalog and pick one that others have found to be not up to par.

- Jim -
    Jim,
    If you don't mind me asking.... why are you replacing your original starter?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil- he's replacing it because the attachment bolts got some corrosion on them which put undue strain on block, slightly deformed the castings around the exhaust header manifolds and caused them to leak.

Seriously, I have used a Tilton for about 7 years and have been extremely happy with it.

Phil Souza

Quote Originally Posted by souzape View Post
    Phil- he's replacing it because the attachment bolts got some corrosion on them which put undue strain on block, slightly deformed the castings around the exhaust header manifolds and caused them to leak.

Seriously, I have used a Tilton for about 7 years and have been extremely happy with it.

Phil Souza
    Phil,
    Thanks for the clarification. How have you and Becky been?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Jim,
    If you don't mind me asking.... why are you replacing your original starter?
    Phil, have experienced the dreaded "heat soak" slow or no turn over issues. Heard the problem is just about non-existent with the mini. Plus, the last few months of the driving season I have not had any part failures...... so I got a few bucks in the cookie jar to spend on items on my wish list

- Jim -

OH.. and Phil, thanks on the Tilton experience.... and I'll have to check them bolts.... don't wanna have to go down the header gasket road too
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Phil- we're doing great. Bram and his wife wife made us grandparents last Summer which has been a wonderful experience. Still need to get up and join you for one of your breakfast runs.

Jim- the Tilton is especially nice in that you can "index" it to get it as far away from the headers as possible. I had serious problems with my Cleveland.

Phil Souza

To The Souza's - Congratulations!!!!! Grand kids are the best
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Tilton

I installed a Tilton during my build, 7 years now and still going strong with the original battery.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    I installed a Tilton during my build, 7 years now and still going strong with the original battery.
    I know the Tilton stuff is the good stuff..... but 7 years on a battery... now there something to brag about If you don't mind me asking, what brand are you using?
    And while we're on the subject of batteries what do you guys think of the Deltran Battery Tenders? I just picked up a dual unit. Haven't had it long enough to give it a thumbs up or down yet.
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Mine is an Optima Red Top and going on 7-years..... amazing!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Optima Battery

"Mine is an Optima Red Top and going on 7-years..... amazing!"

Mine too!!! Must have been a good year for the Optima.
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harding View Post
    I know the Tilton stuff is the good stuff..... but 7 years on a battery... now there something to brag about If you don't mind me asking, what brand are you using?
    And while we're on the subject of batteries what do you guys think of the Deltran Battery Tenders? I just picked up a dual unit. Haven't had it long enough to give it a thumbs up or down yet.
    Jim,
    I am using a Powermaster starter and an Optima red top battery. I do not run a battery tender. I just turn the battery disconnect off and I have not had any problem, even if it has sat for a couple of months.
    From what I have read and the experience I had with the red tops in my Jeep you have to make sure the battery tender does not get the temperature of the battery above 120*F. They don't like that. If the battery is flat you have to slow charge it. Quick charging a gel battery will kill it. If not the first time a few times will.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Hey Tony.... thawed out yet? The last of the snow is just about gone, but my attic must be really insulated cause there's still an inch or so left up there waiting for the sun to melt it. Common Spring

Probably will go with the Powermaster.
    The Deltron is really not a charger, but just a low float current of about 1 1/2 amps, so I don't think the Red top will complain. I haven't had a problem with the battery going flat, but the one in the black car is stone dead after sitting so long, so I thought I'd be a little proactive when I replace it.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim,
    Just about thawed out. I think you need to shovel off your roof.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tilton

A little more expensive but worth the costs!!!! 10 years and still strong as day one!!!!!

Optima is the battery of choice also.....
    dickieboy7
    Unique 289FIA-Green
    351C-4V cobra jet
    Toploader
    did it myself..and fix it