Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color combo viewpoints wanted

Color combo viewpoints wanted

Ok... I'm planning my build and will be at homecoming on May 14th to review all the Cobra cars there, talk with every one, tour the Unique facility and meet with the Weaver's for my likely upcoming order. I'm very aware many won't like my color combo being considered.... but I value everyone’s comments and viewpoint. I've shown this to many "non-Cobra" owners, painters, etc. All like it very much and no naysayers. But the real test is with all of you. I'll most likely paint my Cobra Ferrari Light Yellow, with white wide strips. I based this on a photo I first saw (see attached). You’ll note this car also had narrow white strips. Then I saw on the cover of Cobra Guide 2008 a third color introduced and I thought I'd make the narrow strips red. But I was very concerned on look….. so I made a mock-up and painted it to replicate the Cobra strips at the front (1:1 scale ~7.5” wide with a ½” narrow strip)…. Went off to Lowe’s to buy some plywood, the brightest high gloss yellow latex they had, ultra white trim paint and red electrical tape the attached pictures show the result. This serves the purpose well. And lastly, note in the Yellow Cobra picture with the man leaning on it and the red strips coming from the hood opening area over the top of the fenders and ending in the wheel well. Again, I like it…. But concerned it’s too much???

I'm not trying to please everyone.... but truly want to make an informed decision based on as much input as I can get. So speak up… pro or con. Thanks Much, Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellow front.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	2177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	2179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	2181  
    Last edited by mkassab; June 27th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Mark
    While I strongly support a more traditional look, the yellow car that is shown has an appearence that is pleasing to the eye. Do the traditional SC stripes as is shown in the second image. I would suggest including the red diagonal fender stripping on the drivers side. Do not add any additional red stripe edging as you've shown in the last two images as it is just too much and takes the car out of the "Cool" zone.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; April 26th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

IMHO, My 2 cents.

It's your car, it's America, do whatever you like. Every Cobra owner believes he/she knows the entire history of the marque, and has their own opinion of what is correct. Do the research on the stripe. Most Cobras are striped incorectly. (See what I mean, here I go) I am refering to Shelby's own statement when he said (paraphrasing) the stripe should end inside the oil cooler opening. Look at original cars and his continuation cars. The stripes are inside the oil cooler opening and there are no "pin stripes" adjacent to the stripes. That said, I mean no disrespect to those who have their stripes done otherwise. Like I said, this is America you may do whatever pleases you. Have fun, enjoy the build. Dont take life too seriously. It's the ride that's important, not the destination.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    Mark
    While I strongly support a more traditional look, the yellow car that is shown has an appearence that is pleasing to the eye. Do the traditional SC stripes as is shown in the second image. I would suggest including the red diagonal fender stripping on the drivers side. Do not add any additional red stripe edging as you've shown in the last two images as it is just too much and takes the car out of the "Cool" zone.

- Geary
    Geary.... thanks for your comments. You mention you like the 'SC' strips on the divers side. This is the first I heard a name for them. What is SC? and why only the drivers side? I can guess SC = 427 SC Cobra (sports/competition)?? Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Del View Post
    It's your car, it's America, do whatever you like. Every Cobra owner believes he/she knows the entire history of the marque, and has their own opinion of what is correct. Do the research on the stripe. Most Cobras are striped incorectly. (See what I mean, here I go) I am refering to Shelby's own statement when he said (paraphrasing) the stripe should end inside the oil cooler opening. Look at original cars and his continuation cars. The stripes are inside the oil cooler opening and there are no "pin stripes" adjacent to the stripes. That said, I mean no disrespect to those who have their stripes done otherwise. Like I said, this is America you may do whatever pleases you. Have fun, enjoy the build. Dont take life too seriously. It's the ride that's important, not the destination.
    Mike.. thanks for your comments. I will do what I like... but I'm no 'artist' and don't want to end up with a 'clown car'... Mark

2 cents worth

If you like the yellow, do it. The white stripes, (wide) look good with it, forget the red on the outside of the stripes. That takes away from concept and adds ugly.

The fender stripes were team stripes as the cars were the same color so the team stripes seperated the cars.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

The SC (Semi-Competition as in 427SC) term was refering to the racing stripes not the team stripes. Your second image shows the SC style without the outer pin stripes. Unique provides dimensions for the stripes. Image below is CSX3017.

-Geary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; April 27th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

MARK. If you like this color combo,just do it. These are just a toys. There not real. I drove myself crazy with a color to pick. I went with what pleased me . No matter what color you pick,you will stand out above anything else on the road. Just enjoy.

What do mean they are not real, I'm looking at 7 right now that look pretty real to me.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Yellow is a great color, especially if it's the right color for you! I'm with the others that say nix the red pin stripe. I think it detracts from an otherwise clean color appearance.

The red team stripe is cool. I like it. I'd say do that if you think it is right for you.

Seems like the color is THEE hardest choice of the whole build process... blue or red, blue or red, blue or red...

Blue!

Wait, red!

Wife wants red...

I think I want blue...

AAHHHHHHHHH!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Thanks for the comments..... but I got lucky as with my wife and I saw the yellow.... we both said... 'That's It'. We like many colors, but, so far, nothing more than the yellow. Right now, we're leaning for two wide white strips with the two red team strips over the fender. We're now debaiting some red accents for the interior. Mark

The SC stands for Street Competition. When Shelby quit making race version of the 427 and asked what to do with the left over 427 motors, he said to put them in the street legal cars and call it "Street Competition".
    Bob

Thumbs up Real

Don't know about yours but mine is "real".

If your not carefull it will bit you in the a$$ real quick too!!!!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Mark,

Our car is silver just because that's the color it happened to be when we bought it (I'm the third owner). Had I built the car, I very likely would have gone with some version of "baby chicken yellow." Don't know what Ford called theirs, but Chevy called their version "Butternut Yellow." I'm sure someone here can quote exactly where it is on the web, but Motortrend ran a photo spread several years ago on a barn-find 289 slabside painted in this pale yellow color. With black interior and softtop, it is just absolutely gorgeous. (I'd like to see a rendering of a 427 car in this color with black or dark gunmetal gray stripes.)

I like your scheme, and am with the others - leave off the red pinstripe. It detracts from both your paint scheme and the natural shape of the car. Sort of like a lady that is just naturally gorgeous, but then cakes on 1/4" of makeup...
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSnake View Post
    Mark,

Our car is silver just because that's the color it happened to be when we bought it (I'm the third owner). Had I built the car, I very likely would have gone with some version of "baby chicken yellow." Don't know what Ford called theirs, but Chevy called their version "Butternut Yellow." I'm sure someone here can quote exactly where it is on the web, but Motortrend ran a photo spread several years ago on a barn-find 289 slabside painted in this pale yellow color. With black interior and softtop, it is just absolutely gorgeous. (I'd like to see a rendering of a 427 car in this color with black or dark gunmetal gray stripes.)

I like your scheme, and am with the others - leave off the red pinstripe. It detracts from both your paint scheme and the natural shape of the car. Sort of like a lady that is just naturally gorgeous, but then cakes on 1/4" of makeup...

Might this be the color you're referring to? http://www.legacydiecast.com/xq/asp/.../qx/review.htm

mkassab, When I built mine i had this discussion with eddie from boonville, In. (Rbinsaker)He had the best comment "It was easier to name my kids than pick the color of my cobra. Classic! It's som much fun going through the build. Enjoy it.. document it..share it with your family and friends.

Motortrend Cobra...

Mark,

Here's the one I was thinking of:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...289/index.html

It's a very, very pale yellow. I guess you'd say it's a pastel color. Which sounds totally wrong for a performance car, but... pair it with just the right amount of black accent on the car, and it works (well, I like it anyway!).
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Great looking car. CSX2307 - Owned by Lynn Park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112_0704_14z+1964_shelby_cobra_289+rear_at_speed.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	2205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112_0704_15z+1964_shelby_cobra_289+front_at_speed.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	2206  

If i'm going yellow i'm going bright yellow.

Here's a few yellow cobras I found some pic of 1963.