Thread: SS braided hose cutter?

SS braided hose cutter?

I just purchased this cutter for my SS hose installtions (when the time comes). Before I open them, will they do the job OK? Or do I need something different?

Thanks Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

I use a air cut off tool with a metal cutting disk. The less you deform the hose the easier it is to attach your AN fittings. That cutter in your post is what we use in construction to cut wire rope and aircraft cable and even with a solid core wire rope it deforms the cable. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.
    Unique 4279459

I forgot to add I have found that putting a couple of wraps of tape at your cut mark helps keep the braided strands tight while cutting and gives you a straight guide to cut buy.
    Unique 4279459

Oh good, I can return this and use my "little used" Dremel tool !

It has a this cutting wheel..... should work just fine.

Thanks
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    I just purchased this cutter for my SS hose installtions (when the time comes). Before I open them, will they do the job OK? Or do I need something different?

Thanks Mark
    Mark, the best way I have found to cut the braided line is with a wide sharp chisel, a heavy hammer, and an aluminum block. Just lay the hose on the block put the chisel on the hose where you want to cut it and smack it a couple times with the hammer, you will be amazed at how well this works, a very clean cut and no mess. There is a video of this being done at the “Earls” web-site. I’ll post a link when I get a chance.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

that video was great. And an easy method indeed.

Thanks for this tip.

AN Line

What size an line do most folks use for fuel and Oil pressure? Trying to get away from the copper line thats so stiff and the steel fuel line.

Oil..... 10AN is best.... On fuel, should be dictated by your carb set up. My 950 cfrm has 8. It doesn't need to be that big though. 6 or 8 should be fine.... but I'm running 8 with a fuel regulator.

10 is about the size of 1/2" pipe. 8 about 3/8"

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    What size an line do most folks use for fuel and Oil pressure? Trying to get away from the copper line thats so stiff and the steel fuel line.
    For the oil pressure gauge, I used the Summit Kit SUM-G2959, six feet of 4AN plus fittings to hook everything up.

I like the stock steel tubing look for the fuel line, but 6 or 8 AN line should work fine like Mark stated.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

I use an air cut off tool also. Wrap the braided line area with black electrical tape and cut around the tubing. As Rod mentioned the sharp chisle technique seems to work well also.
    Use #10 lines for oil. #6 is fine for fuel even for an application like mine. Anyway you look at it the fuel line generally gets necked down to 1/4" at the fuel pump so that is the most you can flow regardless of the size of line attached to or from it.

-Geary

Dremmel

The Dremmel and a cut of wheel and some tape work just fine.
    Works good on the welding cable used for our battery hook up too!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

What I like about the chisel method is that nothing gets inside the hose from the cutting procedure. no clean up nessasary
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Hoses.

I clean all hoses out regardless of the method used to cut the hose. Prevention is the best practice.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear