Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sidepipe mount fastener issue

Thanks David for the pictures... so it looks like you attached th bottom brace to the frame, made the loop of Pipe that sets on smaller pipe. The loop held on with pins. Very good!
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Hay Dave, looking at the pic showing the muffler with 2 bolts reminds me of the post last week about the F15 carrier fly-by being an optical illusiion. In your pic, it looks like the car is smashed up against the floor joist.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by spd4me View Post
    Hay Dave, looking at the pic showing the muffler with 2 bolts reminds me of the post last week about the F15 carrier fly-by being an optical illusiion. In your pic, it looks like the car is smashed up against the floor joist.
    Bob
    I wouild have never realized that if you had not pointed it out.
    Good eye!
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Update:
    So far so good, nothing has backed out,cracked, or changed at all.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Wow!!!

I am glad I have already finished my car.

Who would have ever though there we would be this much discussion on attaching side-pipes.

All I can say is a solid mount with 1/4" of conveyor belt (Fabric / Rubber) material with a 1/4 inch hole punched in it sure has lasted a long time.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    I am glad I have already finished my car.

Who would have ever though there we would be this much discussion on attaching side-pipes.

All I can say is a solid mount with 1/4" of conveyor belt (Fabric / Rubber) material with a 1/4 inch hole punched in it sure has lasted a long time.
    You must have been thinking along the same lines when you were building your car. A piece of 1/4' rubber material is not a solid mount. Unique says to do bolt it directly to the frame with no insulator or cushion, now that is a solid mount!
    Dave

I guess you could say that......the conveyor belt material really does a good job. Whatever it's made from the heat doesn't effect it. I changed the material once when I changed out to the spiral baffle sidepipes. Used stainless steel fastners and washers.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    I guess you could say that......the conveyor belt material really does a good job. Whatever it's made from the heat doesn't effect it. I changed the material once when I changed out to the spiral baffle sidepipes. Used stainless steel fastners and washers.
    Rick, I see that you use the upgraded spiral side pipe mufflers. Did you get them from Unique? I wanted the freest flow muffler I could get and Maurice suggested these..... So that's what he is building for me. He also said I might notice some inside mounting/weld points on the outside with the spirals..... ? Do you see this? How's the sound compared to the stock muffler Unique uses? Anyway, He’s building them now that he has my engine. He’s targeting to have them completed for the end of the month so I can have Reldon pick them up after his Cobra’s visit for a MSD ignition upgrade and bring them back to Florida for me. I have a local ceramic coater and can have them done before the car is completed and the rust sets in. Your thoughts welcome.

Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    Rick, I see that you use the upgraded spiral side pipe mufflers. Did you get them from Unique? I wanted the freest flow muffler I could get and Maurice suggested these..... So that's what he is building for me. He also said I might notice some inside mounting/weld points on the outside with the spirals..... ? Do you see this? How's the sound compared to the stock muffler Unique uses? Anyway, He’s building them now that he has my engine. He’s targeting to have them completed for the end of the month so I can have Reldon pick them up after his Cobra’s visit for a MSD ignition upgrade and bring them back to Florida for me. I have a local ceramic coater and can have them done before the car is completed and the rust sets in. Your thoughts welcome.

Mark
    I am also very interested in these spiral flow mufflers. Are these the loudest freest flowing we can get for our cars.
    I think Unique is now doing the ends straight out to the side, my car is a 93 and I like them turned down on the 45 deg angle they probably just do that in the welding jig.
    What is the cost of doing this?
    Dave

Dave, here's what I know (think). Unique offers only these two muffler options from my discussions with Maurice. Not sure on the cost as it's part of my build cost quote. Suggest you call Maurice for $$$s.

Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    Dave, here's what I know (think). Unique offers only these two muffler options from my discussions with Maurice. Not sure on the cost as it's part of my build cost quote. Suggest you call Maurice for $$$s.
    Thank you, not quite ready to do it yet, just wanted an idea of how much.
    Dave

Side Pipes

"Rick, I see that you use the upgraded spiral side pipe mufflers. Did you get them from Unique? I wanted the freest flow muffler I could get and Maurice suggested these..... So that's what he is building for me. He also said I might notice some inside mounting/weld points on the outside with the spirals..... ? Do you see this? How's the sound compared to the stock muffler Unique uses? Anyway, He’s building them now that he has my engine. "

I did get them from Unique, Yes you see the weld points on the Spiral Baffles. It's not a big deal and really dosn't stick out that much. They are louder than the stock side pipes, actually sound good to me. I did notice a performance enhancement when I swithched. Seat of the pants change
    Rick

Rick,

That's music to my ears and what I wanted to hear!

Well I ordered the spiral flow exhaust, they are about 670.00 not shipped. The ends do go down on a 45 deg angle if anyone is interested in that tidbit. I was because Maurice had told me in the past that the pipes exit straight out now, but he was mistaken and told me they will exit down on a 45 deg angle. I was going to have him make them on a 45 if they weren't!
    Side pipe Mounts update:
    Holding up perfectly, and that is after a very hard last 3 weekends of very very spirited driving. Since doing these mounts I have put on at least 1500 miles and they have not move at all, I have not touched them! If anything bad happens in the future I will post it on this thread.
    Dave
    Dave