Thread: Petronix Ignition

Petronix Ignition

On my third coil from overheat on a Southern Automotive FE. I am adding a 1.5 ohm ballest resistor to the ignition wire to see if that fixes the problem. Anyone ever had this problem?

very strange... never heard of such a thing? What is driving the power to the coil?
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Coil Overheats

Just a quick thought. I had an odd situation with overheating coils a few years ago. I think they were MSD's. The ford style coil clamp/mount encircled the coil with a metal band. The problem was that it was too easy to slightly over tighten the band. The thin coil can would crush unseen under the band. The damage was not readily evident. The coil would function but at a reduced capacity as it was internally shorting to the outer can. Eventually it would fail at the most inopportune moment.

-Geary

PS - I also manged to fry a Pertronix epoxy coil and ignitor set by leaving the ignition on after my engine stalled. The stalled location was a good place to park so I left the car there for about 20 minutes. Upon returning I discovered that my brain must have ceased producing lucid thought for a brief moment 20 minutes before. The epoxy coil had actually heated to the point that the area sticking out of the band had cracked and seriously belled out.
    Last edited by Aggressor; June 13th, 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Southern Automotive seems to think that too much voltage is getting to the coil. It read 14.96 on the check to the coil terminals.

That's where I was going with my first post, i.e. high voltage. Believe it should be around 13.2 with a running engine. Maybe your Alt/voltage regulator?
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

The alternator and VR are both ok. Just a perculiar thing with that set up I guess. We'll see what the resistor does. When do you get your kit?

Quote Originally Posted by rlf4j View Post
    The alternator and VR are both ok. Just a perculiar thing with that set up I guess. We'll see what the resistor does. When do you get your kit?
    I get my kit from Unique mid Sept. I pick up my engine July 8 and will delivery to Maurice and Alan on July 9. They already have my TKO600, Steeda short shifter, Lakewood bell housing and clutch kit. I'm going to start a build page. My custom gaguges come in today. I'll be posting lots of pictures.

Mark

Give you lots of time to organize. I will be just up the hwy if you need help.

RL