Thread: KillerPaint.com - Airbrush Art Work

KillerPaint.com - Airbrush Art Work

We really wanted something unique on our Unique Cobra….. We saw some “interesting” art on Cobra’s. Since we will have the red team stripes on the exterior of the car, we settled to do the Art on the underside of the hood. We chose this area for the art for 2 key reasons:
    1) The art is protected from the sun, people fingers, etc. most of the time and when we’re not with the car.
    2) We all know as soon as a Cobra parks, the hood is opened for all to gaze at the engine…. So, the hood underside is a good place for the display artwork….. just think of the underside of the hood as a canvas!
    When trying to determine “who” can do the work, you basically have 3 options… 1) do yourself (yeah right?!?... not me), 2) you know someone and have confidence in their ability, or 3) you go to an expert who has proven themselves. We went with option 3 as 1 or 2 wasn’t applicable to us. Two top airbrush artist came to mind immediately, Nub’s of American Chopper fame, www.nubgrafix.com/, and Mike Lavallee of Killer Paint fame and many TV car shows such as Rides, Hot Rod, OverHaulin’, Payback, Miami Ink and Monster Garage, www.killerpaint.com/ . You may also heard/know Mike as the inventor of “True Fire” effects… check out his web site…. Impressive!!

I contacted both of them with my ideas, pictures, and questions and got a response from both. But after much communications, via email and phone with Nick and Mike (of Killer Paint) I went with Killer Paint. See attached pictures for some themes I sent them. Mike will use his wild imagination….. and create as he paints…. So you’ll have to wait to see the outcome just like I have to. Mike and Nick also promised to send pictures of Mike and his team during the process….. which I’ll share with everyone.

I’ve asked Unique to cause the hood to open as vertical as possible because of the planned artwork. Alan will prep the hood and prime it. I’m making a shipping container. Once the hood is fitted and primed, we’ll ship mid to end of July to Killer paint. Mike will do his thing and ship back to Unique. Alan will them mask off the artwork and paint the hood with the rest of the car.

The cobra head in the attached picture is the perfect “pissed-off cobra head” . I stressed with Nick and Mike I want something that when people see “IT” (i.e., the artwork)…. It’s a eye popping, holly s#!t, that’s great, can’t take your eyes off it, take pictures of, magazine cover quality piece of airbrush artwork!!!

I also plan to incorporate some LED lighting in the engine bay that will project some soft/warm lighting to the art for dusk/night shows.

Stay tuned….. more to come
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perfect pissed cobar head.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	2297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snake head 2.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	2298  
    Last edited by mkassab; August 21st, 2010 at 04:37 AM.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

I'll add updates here as KillerPaint sends to me.
    Last edited by mkassab; July 2nd, 2010 at 05:15 AM.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Update.... first pictures

I just received some photos from Killer Paint of the work-in-progress Cobra artwork. It's not done yet... one thing Mike will still do is ghost in the word "Venom". It's shipping back to Unique Tue, Aug 24th. More picts to follow
    Mark

Name:	IMG_4035.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	2347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4026.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	2348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4041.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	2349  

Finals... ready for clear coating.

Mike Lavalle of Killer Paint just called me to get approval before he clear coated.... I said it looks great and to "clear it". Mike's comments was wait until you see it in person. Looks much more 3D and the scales look wet and filled with fluid.... like bubbles he said. Then in the word VENOM... the first and last letters he dropped to look like fangs. In any case, I can't wait to see in person.
    Mark

Name:	Venom1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	2350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venom2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	2351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venom3.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	2352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venom4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	2353  

Last edited by mkassab; August 21st, 2010 at 04:39 AM.

close ups

I downloaded the close ups from KillerPaint's facebook page.

Mark

Name:	venom5.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	2354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venom7.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	2355  

Totally stunning work. ..........WOW!!!!

Just way too cool.
    -Geary

AWESOME work! Can't wait to see it in person.
    Gary

Thanks guy's..... In about a week, is will be back at Unique Motorcars from shipping and the Weavers will be the first to see live, up front and personal.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    AWESOME work! Can't wait to see it in person.
    Gary
    Gary... you're close enough to me that you'll have to drive over on a nice fall weekend and see it while I'm finishing the car.
    Mark

You bet Mark. Let me know when you get to that stage of your build.
    65cobra@cableone.net
    Gary

Mark, that's really over the top. I can't help but think what you'll go through when you get the first ding in that paint For mine, it was in the first month after getting her on the road. Just a tiny chip in the front.... can hardly see it, but it still took the wind out of my sail. Make sure you get a small amount of touch up paint from the painter.
    Keep the pictures coming too.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim, first off, it's only a car... not saying I want dings.... but it's just a car. Second, this art is under the hood and will only be seen with hood open.... so for the most part it's well protected. And lastly.... the painter, Mr Alan Weaver, pretty much told me touch up will be nearly impossible becase it's a 3 part paint... DuPont Hot Hues, simular to candy and is hard to match. So, time will tell. But to help minimize the risks, I will clear bra the front, door edges, door wells, top of doors, front of rear fenders, behind all finders and leading edge of hood scoop. Pheewwww... what one does for a car

Thanks Mark.

Also.... while at Unique yesterday, I saw for the first time the Cobra Hood.... here's 2 more pict's.... although the hood was a bit dusty. The detail that Killer Paint did was over the top!

Thanks Mike.

Mark

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	2375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	2376  

Mike Lavalle in action

I got these shots from KillerPaint.... thought you'd like to see Mike in action

Mark

Name:	Mike L paint1.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	2477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike L paint2.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	2478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike L paint6.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike L paint9.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	2480  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike L paint12.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	2481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike L paint13.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	2482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike L paint14.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	2483  
    Last edited by mkassab; December 28th, 2010 at 05:20 AM.