Thread: Tilton Flywheel-Clutch-Hyd. Release Bearing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am trying one of Forte's kits this week with the hydraulic slave and fork. I gave up on the HTOB after it started leaking again after a couple of years. Once I get this one in, I will let you know how it works, the pressure plate is a diaphram style.

Justin

HTOB/Slave Cylinder

To each his own!!!!!

That's why we all dress differently.

Sorry guy's but the HTOB works just fine for me, and the one other car I built.

If you like the slave go for it. We have had pages of discussion on this topic. It's been a topic for 5 + years.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Some customers have had good luck with HTOB but we have had terrible luck with them, we sent the last one we tried back to McCleod 2 years ago and we haven't heard back from them, not even a refund or our bearing back. Standard Transmissions in Ft Worth has a 55 gallon drum full of bad bearings, they don't recommend them anymore.

Alan

McLeod

Alan,

You need me as your Purchasing manager....the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!

I know Maurice is capable of raising hell if necessary.

I will put them on my list at the Street Rod Nationals.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

One of their best customers is Standard Trans, they couldn't get satisfaction either. We never could get anyone on the phone that knew the products, the old crew was replaced when they were bought out.

I've had good service in being able to talk to techs and help with putting together a package that will work for my application. Unfortunately, no one in our circle really knows much about Tilton button clutches, so there isn't any user input. Apparently, the racing world is quite knowledgeable about them, but not street/strip/street rod/muscle car users.

There's nothing at all wrong with using a lightweight small diameter clutch. What's bad about the Tilton button clutches is that they are meant to be used on a lightweight flywheel or even an automatic transmission flexplate. When you take a 7.25" clutch kit, mounted onto a 5lb flexplate, you have no rotating momentum at all. Combine that with the fact that Tilton offers no sprung hub discs with street-friendly friction materials, their clutch would be on/off like a light switch with NO slipping whatsoever. As a result, you'd have to basically dump the clutch every time you wanted to take off and if you didn't have the revs high enough, you'd choke the engine down and kill it.

That's why there is no user input from the street/muscle car crowd...it's just not a street style clutch.

If you wanted a similar style clutch that's meant for the street, McLeod makes a real nice RST twin disc clutch that uses a 9" pressure plate and a manual transmission flywheel. The discs are also sprung hub, with organic materials. They are rated for 800hp, are light as a feather, and are very easy on the clutch foot.

If you need some extra input on how to package all of this together, give me a call. My specialty is dealing with the Cobra crowd. 502.759.1431.