Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tilton Flywheel-Clutch-Hyd. Release Bearing

Tilton Clutch/Flywheel

Well, I decided to go with the Tilton cerametallic 7.25" OT-II Rally ultra-high ratio clutch and Tilton 9 lbs. billet steel flywheel (not cheap) setup... mainly because I wanted to use a 157T aluminum bellhousing (I love the early look/hate the "blow-proof" look) after being assured by the the Tilton tech that "If it's good enough for NASCAR at 9000+ with aluminum bellhousings..." it's safe enough for me... especially since I plan to limit the RPM to no more than 6500. Seems reasonable with only a 7.25" clutch and low MOI.

I just received the flywheel and boy is it a BEAUTY! I'm looking forward to getting the clutch/pressure plate which are more reasonably priced. Stay tuned for pics!

you should go ahead and order your kit and build it over the winter.

I agree, that way it is done for the Texas Spring meet, and just maybe Alan will make it down this year for the event. If he does he can bring me a hard top.

Justin

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Hey Justin, just have Paul grab the hardtop when he picks up his car, then you can pop over to Weatherford... that's a lot closer for you than Gadsden...

Do you ever see Kelly anymore? He seems to have disappeared...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Balanced 351C with Tilton neutral flywheel

Well, I finally have a 351C engine that has been balanced externally using a 28 oz. harmonic balancer and a Tilton neutral balance flywheel. Instead of being able to internally balance the crank, which would have taken an estimated (10) slugs of heavy metal, compromising the integrity, or replacing the crank with a $1700.00 new one, I chose to add offset weight to the flywheel. Actually, we decided to cut windows in the premium flywheel to lighten the opposing side. Now we can proceed with the remainder of the engine build, using Edelbrock heads and intake.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Why didn't you just use a 0 balance harmonic balancer?????

I have a Professional Products balancer with removable weights but, without added counter-balance in the crank, you have to compensate with offset weight in the balancer and flywheel.

What crankshaft, rods, pistons are you using?

This is a common setup, even with internally balancing the assembly.

The issue with this scenario is that if you ever change flywheels, have to replace the flywheel, or sell the engine to someone that doesn't want to run your clutch setup, there will be an expense in having to balance match the flywheels in order to make the assembly in balance again.

Exclamation

Questions for the mechanical engineers out there:

Does this compromise the integrity of the flywheel? Will those little webs stretch at 6 or 7K rpm?

I'd hate to see it come apart... !
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Does the clutch disk spin over the top of the slots?

The clutch is a Tilton 7.25" Cerra-metallic, 2-plate type which has a raised friction surface on the flywheel of the same size so it will not cover the area with machined windows. It is my opinion (and my Texas A&M machinist) that the tempered steel flywheel, which only weighs 9 lbs. before the windows were cut, shouldn't have enough mass at a limited 6500 RPM to be an issue, particularly with the ring gear to keep it all intact. I'd appreciate any opinions or theories.

That's Intresting

Hmmmmm!!! Never have seen that before.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by V8er View Post
    The clutch is a Tilton 7.25" Cerra-metallic, 2-plate type which has a raised friction surface on the flywheel of the same size so it will not cover the area with machined windows. It is my opinion (and my Texas A&M machinist) that the tempered steel flywheel, which only weighs 9 lbs. before the windows were cut, shouldn't have enough mass at a limited 6500 RPM to be an issue, particularly with the ring gear to keep it all intact. I'd appreciate any opinions or theories.
    I think any piece of steel turning 6500 rpm is going to have enough energy to break anything that's cast aluminum. Cast aluminum is pretty brittle.

The Cup guys may run lightweight bellhousings, but their stuff is made by Quartermaster/Tilton and is usually made of magnesium. Their rules also dictate an enclosed clutch assembly OR a scatter-blanket around the bellhousing.

Also, if you've ever seen a flywheel explosion (I've seen the remnants of some cast iron flywheels that came apart), the ring gear doesn't always stay on.

I hope for your legs' sake that everything will be ok. After the aluminum bellhousing, there's only 3/16"-1/4" of fiberglass between the flywheel and you.

Time to invest in a premium scattershield.

There is an interesting thread over on CC that discusses this exact issue, and they posted this link. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5cjNhN_po

It is amazing what it did to the header!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear