Thread: Windshield Center Bracket

Windshield Center Bracket

I was checking out my windshield brackets yesterday in hopes of reducing windshield shake and noticed something that seemed out of the ordinary. The center windshield bracket that's attached to the dash just in front of the rear view mirror is not attached to the lower frame of the windshield though there are holes in the bracket and there small holes in the windshield frame aligned with the holes in the bracket. Are there supposed to be fasteners in them? (I've attached a photo of the bracket in case there's any confusion) Any help will be most appreciated.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Yes... they are missing!

Maybe they vibrated out, or someone forgot to put them back in at some point??
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

I will check to see if I have any extras to send you, it is a weird thread and they are very short.

Alan

I have had them walk out before but the most important thing to remember is that the windshield can sometimes settle low enought (or perhaps it is always low enought) so that a long screw will touch the glass. Be sure to use the ones alan has or be super careful about the length if you have to get them elsewhere. Crack in windshield will result otherwise.

rw

Put a little thread locker on them but I would remove the windscreen to do it. Ask me how I know.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    I will check to see if I have any extras to send you, it is a weird thread and they are very short.

Alan
    Alan, are these the same threads that are used to secure the visor brackets? I've had a set of visors that I haven't been able to mount because I can't seem to ID the thread size. If you can ID the thread size, I might be able to finally mount them
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Yep, if you have a rattle develop around the windshield, check these little buggers first. One of those L-shaped screwdrivers is about the only way to tighten them with the windshield assembly installed on the car.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thanks for the help. I suspect the fasteners were lost when the car was repainted in 2001.... I'd like to think I would have noticed them sometime in the past six years!!! I will also take heed in not breaking the windshield attempting to replace them

Alan, I appreciate your offer to send me a pair if you have them. Thanks again

Bob

Bob,
    Mine is just the opposite of yours. My screws from the bracket to windshield are in place, but not only is my bracket not screwed or bolted to the body, the body holes are not even drilled. I've considered trying to add them, but decided it's not worth the trouble and just left it alone.
    Walter

Walter the holes were drilled but were probably filled in by your painter. You need to locate them and bolt it down.

Sounds like a good weekend project. Those things never seem to ever be as simple as they seem, especially with this operator.

A bent tip screw driver or a screw driver bit mounted in a small wrench should secure the screws in place.
    -Geary

After much trial and error, I discovered that the thread size for the windshield bracket to windshield frame was 4-40 and the thread length was approximately 1/8". I spent about two hours trying to insert 1/8" machine screw into the windshield frame without success. Since I really don't want to remove the windshield, I moved to plan "b". I purchased two 4-40 X 1/2" screws and two nuts, spun the nuts up the screw shaft a little less than 1/8", successfully attached them to the windshield frame and gently tightened the nuts against the bracket while holding the head of the machine screw with needle nosed pliers. A final finishing touch would be to cut off the excess material with a dremel .. but that's for another day. Thanks again to all for your help.

Bob