Thread: Another Unique win!

Another Unique win!

Brian and I took our Unique FIA and his Shelby GT-H to a small, but well attended, local car show this weekend. There were about 60 cars there, mostly 60s muscle cars, a few vintage cars, rat rods, hot rods, trucks, and lots a newer Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers. Cobras are a rarely seen at shows around here and was put into the "race car class" as it was determined to be the closest one. At the end of a HOT 100+ degree day, everyone was called to the pavillion for the awards. The first class called was the "race car class" in which we were awarded 1st Place. Since this was the only class that did not award a second and third place trophy, we're not sure if there were even any other cars in the catagory. As the awards dragged on, we were eager to get out of the sun, so we walked back to the cars to leave ahead of the crowd. I had just fired up the Cobra, and saw Brian pull along side and yell that they just called our name again. I shut down and unbuckled and ran back to the pavillion where they were waiting with the "Best of Show" trophy awarded to our car. It was a pleasant surprise, and made a very hot day more bearable. The car was hit at the show because most people there had never seen one up close, and was so very different from all the other cars. We even did a live radio spot during the show and were asked what it took to get a car like ours to its present condition, but had to answer in 2 minutes or less. I know I am preaching to the choir when I tell you guys what a great product that we have in our Unique Cobras, but even show guys that have seen other makes, always comment on how good Uniques look. Way to go Weavers!

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gravette1a 001.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	2345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gravette1a 003.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	2346  
    Last edited by Glenview289; August 16th, 2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added signature

These cars seem to win even when not in a competition. From little kids to old grey heads everyone seems fascinated by them, so when driving get used to lots of "thumbs up" signs etc. Today I was meeting a friend who was passing through and since they got a bit lost I had to wait at the restaurant for about 20 minutes, watching everyone stopping and staring at the car with lots of complimentary comments between them. Sure is impossible to drive them and stay inconspicuous. I sure agree, the Weavers have created an amazing car, well done!

Very cool Bill. I noticed the Goodyear tires and know that you have had the car on the track, are you running these tires on the track as well? if so, how do you like them?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Sweet! Congrats on the win. Thanks for sharing the story.

Y'all need to get a second one... so you won't have to take turns driving.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Simple logic. A very "correct" car, carefully constructed, with a fine finish equals success.

Well earned best of show.

Congats

-Geary

Way to go, you guys built a winner!

Goodyears?

Rod-We have tracked the car 3 times with these tires and I guess we would call them just OK. We wanted something with Goodyear on the side for the look, but stayed away from the billboards because we did not want to deal with with paint issues on the rear wheel flairs that a softer compound would create by picking up and throwing stones and gravel. A second set of wheels for the track would be the ideal situation. Right now we believe that the brakes are what are holding our times down. We can accellerate out of the corners with the best of them, but have to get out of the throttle a lot sooner because of the brakes (or lack of brakes). We run at Hallett Motorsports Park, just outside of Tulsa. It is a short but technical 1.8 mile track with 14 turns. On the main straight we hit 105 before setting up the corner. I had a chance to ride with a friend in a Ruff Twin Turbo Porsche with race slicks and big brakes. We hit 138 on the same section of the track and I swore that he forgot about the corner, but when he hit the brakes, you were throw into the harness without any lockup, squealing, or sliding. An amazing experience. I'll admit the technology between the two cars very different. You have to give Shelby and his drivers a lot of credit for what they did with these cars. These things are just way to much fun!

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill, I'm trying to come up with the best for both but think that you are right about haveing two sets
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Congratulations

Brian and Bill,

Good job, just keeps paying dividends!!!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Congratulations, guys!!!! Well done. Wonder what ol' Spence would think?
    Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Outstanding!........... and well deserved, for sure
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Kudos Bill & Brian!!

Two fine cars and two fine gentlemen I am pleased to call my friends!
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor