Thread: Vin Number

Vin Number

Well we hope to have the body back on the car this weekend finally!

Before I put my vin number on the I was wondering if there was anywhere in particular most folks put them?

Here's a shot of mine.... factory installed on the top of the right foot box
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Red face

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know if the Unique frame number is stamped or etched somewhere on the frame? If a state inspector asks I wouldn't know what to tell him. I didn't get any paperwork with my Dart block so I'm already sweating that one. Thanks.
    Bill Stradtner
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

VIN number locaton

Vin location

vin#

On the driver side frame just behind the rear bolt that holds the front crossmember in. It's not a bad idea to have it somewhere else just in case.

Cool

Thanks for the replies. I have the VIN tag and read the thread but, still, no joy. I put on my magnifying glasses and applied lots of light but still didn't see any number. I guess I'll have to do it myself.
    427 S/C #9442

It is also stamped on the frame behind the drivers side rear tire, if you are looking towards the roll bar it is on the end of the frame rail.

Alan

Nope. I'll call.
    427 S/C #9442

Talking

Found them!! It took a lot of light and a big magnifying glass but I found the front one right behind the Allen head cross-member bolt. Once I knew what to look for I found the rear number on the end of the cross-member behind the tire. The powder coat had filled in the stamp almost completely on both numbers. I circled them with a silver Sharpie so, in case the DMV inspecter asks I can show him. Good thing I had the body off or I never would have found them.
    427 S/C #9442

frame is on

Body is back on the frame. The lifting blocks I made for the fender wells and the bars I made for the bottom of the lift worked great. We put the frame on the wheel dollies, moved the body under the lift, hooked it up and the wife lifted it off of the body buck. Moved the buck and pushed the frame under the body and the wife lowered it while was checking everything as it came down. Worked fine.

I have been doing some research on replacing the ampmeter with a voltmeter. Before I removed the body from my car I had ran it for about 750 miles. At some point the small voltage regulator on the back of the altenater was overcharging and melted the wire way back into the harness. While I was running the motor using the frame as a test stand I had a small tree up with a tach, oilpressure, temp and voltmeter. I had the one wire on the new alt. ran to the battery side of the solenoid
    and had no problems.

After doing some reading it seems the thought is to couple the wires together on the ampmeter and hook the voltmeter to the ing switch. I'm know I can leave the one wire on the alt. going to the Bat side of the
    solenoid so I'm assuming the old alt. wire in the harness can be removed. Is this the case or should I just tape it up and wrap it with heat shrink?