Thread: fusible link

fusible link

The fusible link that connects to the solenoid, supplying power to the dash. Is that a one time fuse or is it something that could be replaced with a fuse. I've run a jumper to a power lug behind the dash to hook up the MSD, heater remote power outlet ect. If the fusible link can be replaced with a fuse I would like to put it where it could be easily reached/changed.

Once the link blows... it's done. Bad setup IMO. I cut it out and replaced it with a circuit breaker. You could also use a fuse.

Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

fusible link

I've never had to deal with one so I'm curious as to why there wasn't a fuse or as you say a CB like the one I put on the headlights. Does anyone know at what amperage this thing is suppose to melt?

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember it saying 30 amps.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

The fusable link is intended to be a "slow blow" connector. it can withstand amperage spikes without blowing like a fuse would or tripping like a breaker. If you plan to replace it with a fuse you will need a "slow blow" type of fuse. I considered this option while I was doing the wiring on my car and did a lot of reserch trying to come up with the proper fuse, I even had what I thought would be correct all wired in and ready to go. Then I got concerned that if I was wrong and had a fuse that didn't work like it should I could melt the wiring under the dash and start a fire. So in the end I pulled that out and went back to the fusable link, why mess with what works.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Amen Rod, I have seen a car built without the fusable link with a wiring short, it wasn't pretty.

leave

I'll leave it under the dash on the block then. I did have to change the end though. It was so big that even when it was on the solenoid I had to use large washers. It was bigger than the nut that holds them on.

Thanks for the info.